Doorbell streaming lag

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
vhooker
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have just purchased an wire free doorbell, set it up as per the instructions, but there seems to be a lag of between 1 and 2 seconds in the videostream. I have gone through the troubleshooting quide, and have even spent quite a while with the Arlo online support team who eventually, after various tests and checks said a 1 to 2 second lag 8n the video stream was normal. I know there is not a bandwidth issue on my broadband service, or problems with my WiFi as I can stream HD over my WiFi with out any issues. Even with the doorbell set to the lowest video quality setting I still have the same issue. Is a 1 to 2 second lag in the video stream really normal?

4 REPLIES 4
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Generally, yes, because you're not connecting directly to the doorbell. The process involves the Internet and servers, too, so the lag of 1-2 seconds is expected. It could only be faster if it were a direct connection, all within your home network.

vhooker
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks very much for the feedback. I appreciate that in order to establish the initial connection between my mobile phone and the doorbell, that it is likely to involve routing traffic through a server. However, once the connection is establish is the traffic still routed via the server if the mobile phone is actually on the same WiFi network as the doorbell, or does it then switch to a peer to peer connection?

The quality of the video is good at all quality settings, and the stream is fine when establish, it is smooth with out jitter or stutter, it is just 2 second behind real time. This seems pretty poor really when you consider you can make a video call to somebody on the other side of the world using an app such as Whatsapp and you don't experience such a long lag. If you make a voice call over a satellite phone you can expect a slight lag as the round trip delay you experience is usually around 500ms (if you call is not bounced between satellites). So the 2 second lag just seems excessive to me. If once a connection is established the packets are still routed over the internet to a server somewhere, I wonder where that server actually is.

Do you know if once the connection form the mobile to the doorbell is establish on a home network, if the traffic stays local on your home LAN, or is it still routed via a remote server somewhere?

Thanks again for your help.

Vic

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

To my knowledge, the traffic is still through the Internet and servers. 

NotSavedbyBell
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yeah it sux. Mine is like 10secs. Way too much $ for junk. 

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation