Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
shunte
Aspirant
Aspirant

The doorbell seems to pick up motion fine during the day, but I have milk delivered twice a week during the night and it very rarely picks up the milkman who walks right up to my front door, picks up a bottle and leaves another and then walks away again.  There is approximately 5 yards of pathway he walks up, the night vision is enabled as well as the auto HDR, I have the sensitivity set to 100%.

Is there any tips to get this to work at night?

FW is 1.2.1.0)480)2bc43d0_b595c6d

8 REPLIES 8
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

shunte,

Are you using a schedule? Are you sure the doorbell is armed during the time you're trying to capture motion?

JamesC

shunte
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi, apologies for the delayed response but the no-one has been able to login to the support pages!

There is no schedule configured at all, no geofencing, it's just armed all the time.  It just doesn't appear to be as good at picking up motion as night for some reason, if someone can walk right up to my front door and leave objects and remove objects without the doorbell seeing it then this is a real concern to me.

shunte
Aspirant
Aspirant
I tried leaving the outdoor porch light on last night, but still I have milk 6 inches from my front door and no video of anyone leaving it! Is it just me? Does anyone else's work at night?
shunte
Aspirant
Aspirant

Not quite sure what you mean Genev, this is an Arlo community, the doorbell is an Arlo doorbell, nothing to do with Ring.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@shunte wrote:
I tried leaving the outdoor porch light on last night, but still I have milk 6 inches from my front door and no video of anyone leaving it! Is it just me? Does anyone else's work at night?

The motion sensors are passive infrared (PIR).  Darkness won't make any difference, but temperature might.

You could try increasing the motion sensitivity.  You could also try running the motion detection test (perhaps after dark).  https://kb.arlo.com/41/How-do-I-change-the-motion-sensitivity-on-my-Arlo-camera

shunte
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks Stephen, I have the motion detection at 100% already, I have tried the test during the day but not at night, but to be honest, I don't really see what difference it could make as the test just shows at what point the motion is detected rather than improving it.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@shunte wrote:

to be honest, I don't really see what difference it could make as the test just shows at what point the motion is detected rather than improving it.

The idea was simply to let you see if there was any difference in the motion sensitivity at night.

My understanding was that you found motion detection to be acceptable during the day, but not at night. Is that incorrect?

shunte
Aspirant
Aspirant

You are correct yes, but if a milkman can walk right up to my front door and leave something behind and walk away (approx 12 yds in total) then the doorbell isn't quick enough anyway and I don't see that me proving the motion detection isn't good enough using the test will make much difference sadly.

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation