Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation
ScarletIbisBird
Initiate
Initiate
I am going to post a question that I have never seen discussed or explained anywhere on the internet.
My question is as follows:-

“Instructions say to mount doorbell 48" from the ground. Is that 48" to the top of the doorbell, the bottom, or to the camera? Thank you!”

I have never seen anyone, anywhere explain this.
3 REPLIES 3
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@ScarletIbisBird wrote:
“Instructions say to mount doorbell 48" from the ground. Is that 48" to the top of the doorbell, the bottom, or to the camera? Thank you!”

The precise distance isn't critical (so it doesn't really matter).  Personally I just put the doorbell where the original push button doorbell was installed. 

ScarletIbisBird
Initiate
Initiate
Thanks for your response but what you said didn’t answer my question. However, since I posted the question I have been doing some research on my own. Apparently Arlo have updated their doorbell software and the installation video shows the motion sensor in-line with the 48” mark.

So in a virgin or new installation where a doorbell has never been installed, the above would be the optimum placement.

I responded as Arlo asked me whether the response to my question was satisfactory or not and I responded to say NOT.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@ScarletIbisBird wrote:
Thanks for your response but what you said didn’t answer my question. However, since I posted the question I have been doing some research on my own. Apparently Arlo have updated their doorbell software and the installation video shows the motion sensor in-line with the 48” mark.

Do you have an existing traditional doorbell installed?  If so, what is the height?

IMO, you are overthinking this.  The motion sensor is intended to cover the field of view for the camera, it isn't narrow like a laser. 

The field of view is what actually matters - high enough for you to see the faces of people who ring the doorbell (and not so high that you can't see much ground in front of the doorbell).  In my experience the precise height really isn't  critical. The square aspect ratio of the camera gives a lot of coverage both below and above the doorbell.

FWIW, the Arlo FAQ is consistent with my answer:

The best position for your wire-free Arlo Essential Video Doorbell varies by household and outdoor environment.

and

Place the doorbell about 48 in (120 cm) above the ground.

@ScarletIbisBird wrote:
Thanks for your response but what you said didn’t answer my question.

Actually I did - saying it didn't matter.  You just didn't like that answer.  

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation