Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Connecting Arlo essential video doorbell wire-free to a mechanical chime in the UK

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
AshCat21
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi,

My father-in-law has recently received an Arlo Essential Wire-Free video doorbell from his alarm company.

He has an existing transformer capable of 8V AC, with a mechanical chime. He wants to still be able to utilise the existing mechanical chime, along with trickle charging the battery.

He's asked me to install it. But I am trying to understand how the wiring works before I install it.

In the UK, we have two wires at the push button which when pressed closes the circuit and essentially powers the chime.

So by taking the 2 wires from the existing push button location, I fail to see how it will power the doorbell, without bypassing the chime.

Am I missing something here?

I've installed several wired Ring doorbells, by bypassing the mechanical chime with a new transformer. And Ring usually provides you with a wireless chime.

But with this product, there is no wireless chime. And my father-in-law is reluctant to pay more money to get one.

The instructions say it's possible to connect to a mechanical chime, but I don't want to risk starting the installation before I understand how it works. Otherwise, he will have to return.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@AshCat21 wrote:

So are you saying there is a "power kit" that is built into the chime. Or are you saying that I need to get an additional bit of hardware to fit across the chime? i.e. there is nothing in the box with the wire-free kit.

Hmmm... My recollection was that the power kit was provided with the AVD2001, but looking again (both at the manual and the box containing my own doorbell), I can see that it actually is only provided with the AVD1001.

I am thinking that since the AVD2001 just trickle-charges the battery, it doesn't draw enough power to need the power kit.  That is, that the power flowing through the chime when the doorbell isn't pressed is small enough that it won't trigger the bell or have any other adverse effects on the chime.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@AshCat21 wrote:

In the UK, we have two wires at the push button which when pressed closes the circuit and essentially powers the chime.

So by taking the 2 wires from the existing push button location, I fail to see how it will power the doorbell, without bypassing the chime.

With the doorbell, there is always some power flowing through the circuit - so the circuit is always closed.  Pressing the doorbell increases the power flow.

Then there is a power kit that is installed across the chime.  That diverts the small amount of power that is flowing when the doorbell isn't pressed from the chime.  When the doorbell is pressed, the power flows through the chime as before, so it will ring.

FWIW, Ring uses a similar trick, so it is compatible with many traditional chimes.

AshCat21
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you, this is helpful.

So are you saying there is a "power kit" that is built into the chime. Or are you saying that I need to get an additional bit of hardware to fit across the chime? i.e. there is nothing in the box with the wire-free kit.

I've attached a picture of the chime if that helps.

Thanks!

chime.jpg
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@AshCat21 wrote:

Hmmm... My recollection was that the power kit was provided with the AVD2001, but looking again (both at the manual and the box containing my own doorbell), I can see that it actually is only provided with the AVD1001.

I am thinking that since the AVD2001 just trickle-charges the battery, it doesn't draw enough power to need the power kit.  That is, that the power flowing through the chime when the doorbell isn't pressed is small enough that it won't trigger the bell or have any other adverse effects on the chime.

AshCat21
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks so much.

This is a lot clearer now. I guess the first thing for me before I install is to measure the voltage between the 2 wires at push button. If it's 8V coming through, then I am probably good to attempt and hope the setup triggers the chime when pushed.

Thanks again.

AshCat21
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks @StephenB 

This gave me a lot of confidence and managed to install it.

I measured the voltage between the two wires at the push button and got an acceptable voltage reading. Installed and tested the chime and all works.

Thanks!

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@AshCat21 wrote:

I measured the voltage between the two wires at the push button and got an acceptable voltage reading. Installed and tested the chime and all works.

Great!  I'm glad I was able to help.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation