Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Chime 2 will not connect

Discussion stats
  • 15 Replies
  • 9 Likes
  • 9 In Conversation
Ajcamisa
Initiate
Initiate

I recently purchased through Arlo a package containing the Wireless Doorbell and Chime 2.

The Doorbell connected fine and works great.

The Chime 2 will not be discovered through the App on an IOS device with the most recent update.

I have followed all the steps.

It scans the QR Code, then I plug it in and select Yes Continue.

I receive a message "Arlo wants to Join Wi-Fi Network "Arlo_9649"?

I have no idea what network that is.  But the only option I have is to cancel or Join.

When I select Join, It searches for wifi networks, and my actual 2.4GHz network appears.

I select my network, I then enter the password, the blinking white light on the chime then turns amber for a short time and returns to blinking white.

A short time later it tells me that it can't connect.

The only option I then have is to either try again, which I have done numerous times to no avail, or need help, which is basically useless because all it refers to is the network needs to be online or enter the correct password.

It won't even then allow me to access other parts of the App.  I am stuck there.  I need to sign in on another device, so that it will log me out of the App on the device I was originally using.  I have the most updated version of the App on both devices I have been trying to connect with.

Any suggestions?

I have several cameras, lights and the doorbell which work fine.  So my wi-fi network is obviously good for them to access.  I spent over 1 hour on chat with tech support to no avail.

15 REPLIES 15
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You need to join the temporary WiFi network set up by the chime. That allows you to then specify the SSID and password your home network uses. Your phone may need to allow access to unsecured networks or similar (I think there would be a message to that effect during the setup process).

Ajcamisa
Initiate
Initiate

Thanks for your response, but I have selected the temporary network set up by chime (Arlo tech had informed me that was the Arlo_9469).  My phone allows me both secure and unsecured networks.   But seems that my AT&T network has both 2.4 GHZ and 5 GHZ sharing the same name.  I only see one selection and there is no way of knowing which it is, and apparently the Chime will only work on a 2.4 GHZ network.  The tech had me attempt to connect to the personal hotspot of my other device.  That didn't work either.  Last I heard, since I purchased it directly from them, they are sending me another one.  So I guess they may think something is possibly wrong with the Chime.  Personally, I don't think they have a clue what the issue is. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Ajcamisa wrote:

But seems that my AT&T network has both 2.4 GHZ and 5 GHZ sharing the same name. 

Not uncommon, and despite the warning, it often doesn't get in the way.  But it might be doing that in your case (or it could be a defective chime).

Have you looked at your router's wifi settings?  There might be an option to disable 5 gHz temporarily.

1108Mag
Initiate
Initiate

My Arlo chime 2 will not connect to Frontier Router with a 2.4ghz line.  It wants to set up another link.  What can I do?

Thanks in advance.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The chime needs to temporarily use its own WiFi connection to the phone so the proper info can be transferred to the chime. Just follow the directions and you'll end up connected to your WiFi.

1108Mag
Initiate
Initiate
Thanks Guru for your response. What instructions are you referring to?
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@1108Mag wrote:
 What instructions are you referring to?

The steps that the app guides you through.

Mreillyminer
Guide
Guide

I have run into this very same issue, as it seems have many others, all of whom appear to have been as frustrated as I am with the troubleshooting suggestions that are offered by Arlo.  This has been, without a doubt, the worst customer service experience I've had with any product, ever.  The chat feature is basically worthless, and there's apparently no ability to speak with a real person one-on-one.  I am beyond frustrated after trying to troubleshoot this on my own for hours/days!!  Hopefully there's a solution somewhere in this chain!!  Other threads claiming to have SOLVED the problem are not accurate, as this continues to be a clear flaw in Arlo's design of the Chime 2.  Honestly, I wish I could just get my money back right now and switch to a more reliable product with better customer support.  Sad.

Bram_Stoker
Initiate
Initiate

Same issue here. It works to the stage where it connects to the Arlo network, obtains IP. That message disappears and an error pops up that says something came up, the application has cancelled the request to choose a device.

iowatiger08
Initiate
Initiate

I was seeing similar behavior and realized that I had to disable for a minute my mobile VPN. Once I did that, the app found and connected the chime to the doorbell as desired.  Then I re-enabled my VPN and all is set. 

Bram_Stoker
Initiate
Initiate

That did not work for me. I tried disabling every security setting to make this work, not helpful and you need to re-activate given the number of hacking attempts these days.

I got this to work by using an old phone (5 years) with no security, then the WiFi connected and it worked. Technology getting stale if it cannot deal with newer more secure phones, also no 5Ghz network.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Ajcamisa wrote:

I receive a message "Arlo wants to Join Wi-Fi Network "Arlo_9649"?

I have no idea what network that is.  

This is a temporary network the chime is creating for on-boarding.  So you do need to join it.

bdobles
Initiate
Initiate

If you do not need to join it, How do you get past it? I only have 2 options: join the network, which requires a password I don’t have, or “cancel” which takes me back a step. I’m usually very competent with this sort thing, but installing the Chime 2 to my Arlo video doorbell has been the single most frustrating experience I’ve had with home network admin ever. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@bdobles wrote:

If you do not need to join it, How do you get past it? I only have 2 options: join the network, which requires a password I don’t have, or “cancel” which takes me back a step.

The temporary network doesn't have a password.

You might need to exchange the Chime 2 with the seller.  You could also try Arlo Support (if you have a subscription, you can get phone support via the phone app).

Titoshowed
Aspirant
Aspirant

Good God it finally worked! 

no joke. My wife and I made it work finally. 
in short the first bell worked. We were able to connect it. But when we tried to add a second one for the upstairs it was not. 

this might help people I hope….

We uninstalled it all, then: 

1. what we did and found out was that to connect the 2nd one we uninstalled the first one ( but remember it had already connected it in the app and was working - the app will remember it). 

2. Unplug  the 1st one from the electrical outlet.

3. Take the 2nd one and do the installation as if it was your first.

4. when you get the 2nd one working, don’t leave the app and add the 1st one to it again. 
5. that was it for us connected the 2.

note: by the way we are on 5GHz.

good luck to you all ! 

Discussion stats
  • 15 Replies
  • 9 Likes
  • 9 In Conversation