Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Chime 2 which only works intermittently

Discussion stats
  • 19 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation
DylanMuttley
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have a Chime 2 paired with doorbell however the Chime only works intermittently. This is the second Chime 2 I have installed as I returned the first one for exactly the same reason thinking it was a fault. I have read a number of threads on this but all did not offer a solution and the chat had closed due to inactivity - so looks like a known issue. The Door Bell works well and has full bars on network (Arlo hub network) and Chime 2 is plugged in a socket in the same room as the wifi hub - so full wifi. The STRANGE thing about this is that I have the door bell on the Arlo Hub network and when I configure the Chime it asks to conned to the Arlo network but it can't as asks for password (have checked this also in communities and the response is that the Arlo network is locked and devices cannot connect to it manually). So I am only left with option to connect to the BB Wifi. Not sure if this is the issue. Everything is configured correctly and as said it does work some time. 

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

19 REPLIES 19
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The Chime 2 needs a temporary open network (so no password) for your phone to connect to so the real WiFi SSID and password can be sent. Once that happens, the chime will attempt to connect to your WiFi.

You can try resetting the chime using the directions below. Also make sure your phone network settings allow connection to unknown open networks for the purpose of onboarding the chime.

https://kb.arlo.com/000061879/How-do-I-reset-my-Arlo-Chime-or-Chime-2

DylanMuttley
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi jguerdat

Thanks for getting back. I have followed your advice below but problem still exists. Sometimes the chime works, other times nothing. I have now adopted the behaviour of pressing the door bell every time I leave and enter the house 😞  just to see if its going to work. 

I have also noticed the light on the front randomly flashing orange which i think means poor wifi connection. But the Chime and Door bell its paired with have full wifi bars so no idea  why it would be randomly dropping the connection.

Again, I don't think I'm the only one experiencing this issue from reading other posts on this forum. This should be the most simplest item in my Arlo install (internal cameras, external cameras, door camera, hub - all working perfectly on the wifi) to set-up, yet it is proving the most troublesome given this is now my second device I've installed but exhibiting the same issues as the first.

Help as driving me nuts not knowing if its going to work of not....

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

According to the following FAQ, that means it's a WiFi connection issue.

https://kb.arlo.com/000062326/What-do-the-LED-behaviors-on-my-Arlo-Essential-Video-Doorbell-Wired-me...

That can be caused by various things such as house construction, other wireless devices that use the 2.4GHz band nearby causing interference, etc. What happens if you bring the doorbell indoors for testing?

DylanMuttley
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thx again Jguerdat - but I still have an issue with this. There is great wifi, chime is beside the door bell and still has intermittent connection. This is my second device which I am now returning. Very disappointed that can't get something as simple as a doorbell chime to work. I  now have to reinstall my original wired door bell.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

What is your house construction? Something could be blocking the signal.

DylanMuttley
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi Jguerdat - don't think its down to the house construction. Its a detached 4 bedroom and the Arlo door camera is outside the front door and the chime is plugged into a socket in the hall next to the door. The house has BT Smart Hub with Smart WiFi i.e. BT Hub with 2 Wifi discs - so full wifi coverage. My arlo set-up: 3 external cameras, 2 internal cameras, 1 door camera all linked to an Arlo Hub using the Arlo wifi network/SSID. The Chime can only connect to the BT wifi network/SSID despite asking to join the Arlo network. I know you have said that this is not the issues but I think it must be - for some reasons the Door camera on the Arlo network cannot connect to the Chime on the BT network. All the kit on the Arlo network works 100% but the Chime keeps flashing amber and working intermittently despite being beside a BT wifi disc also locate din the hall. 

Have given up as should not be this hard. Chime is now repackaged ready to be sent back (this is the second one I have had to return for exactly the same reasons) as clearly not fit for purpose. Thanks for all your help but think Arlo need to sort this one. (Not just me but based on others having similar issues - we can't all be getting the set-up wrong)

TravelBear
Tutor
Tutor

Hi.  I have been having ongoing problems with a doorbell button working intermittently too.  Like you I focused on the Chime2 unit and reconnecting it, resetting, removing and reinstalling over and over.

However, just recently I found that I could use Routine to configure the doorbell to ring the Chime2 when it detected motion.  I set that up to ring the Chime with a different sound.  So hypothetically, it would chime when the doorbell detected motion first and then ding dong when the button was pushed (using luxury 1 for motion detection and traditional 1 chime sound for button press).   So someone approaching the door and ringing the doorbell would result in the chime2 sounding twice (luxury 1 sound then traditional 1 sound) .  Someone approaching the door and not ringing the doorbell (such as putting letters through) would result in the chime2 sounding once.

The motion detection chime goes off fine everytime, no problems.  Can match up video from the doorbell showing when someone is approaching the door, and the Chime2 sounds everytime (luxury 1). 

However, the video shows them pressing the button and the chime2 does not respond to the button press (traditional 1 sound).  Only very occasionally does it work properly.

So this makes me believe the fault is not with the Chime2 or the wifi connection, or the pairing, the fault is specifically with the button not working.  I currently have an open case with Arlo to get a replacement doorbell, but they have not responded as yet. 

I'd be interested if your doorbell is having the same issue too if you try another Chime2 and the problem persists.

DylanMuttley
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi TravelBear - love your work-around 🙂  great thinking. To be fair, shouldn't need to resort to this. I read in another thread that someone reverted to Chime 1 and said it worked perfectly. Had a bit of trouble sourcing it, but managed to get one from Cex; due to arrive today. Will report back.

TravelBear
Tutor
Tutor

I'll be interested to hear how the Chime 1 works for you.  

DylanMuttley
Aspirant
Aspirant

Chime (rev. 1) arrived yesterday. Got set up in 2 mins and glad to say been working perfectly. There is a definite issue with Chime 2 interacting with Arlo Hub. Chime 1 uses Arlo hub network but Chime 2 does not - I think this is the fundamental issue with it.

So if you have an Arlo Hub and wish to have a Chime facility then need to source a Chime (rev. 1) and NOT Chime 2. Not easy to source unfortunately - I manage to get one from CEX. Good luck.

TravelBear
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks for the update.  I might look around and see if I can find a Chime 1 and give it a go.

Glad you got your issue sorted.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

@DylanMuttley wrote:

Chime (rev. 1) arrived yesterday. Got set up in 2 mins and glad to say been working perfectly. There is a definite issue with Chime 2 interacting with Arlo Hub. Chime 1 uses Arlo hub network but Chime 2 does not - I think this is the fundamental issue with it.

So if you have an Arlo Hub and wish to have a Chime facility then need to source a Chime (rev. 1) and NOT Chime 2. Not easy to source unfortunately - I manage to get one from CEX. Good luck.

That's not normal. I have both a Chime 1 and Chime 2 with the original one connected to a hub (as well as the doorbell) and the Chime 2 connected to WiFi with no such issues. Just a guess but it's either an issue with the chime or with the local environment.

DylanMuttley
Aspirant
Aspirant

thx Jguerdat - only reporting my findings. Everything else works in the home apart from Chime 2. I only tried the Chime rev. 1 as it was suggested by another on a forum on a similar thread and he was also having exactly the same experience. Also TravelBear (who is on this chain also) is experiencing the same issue. Think Arlo needs to open a case on this as too many experiencing this issue.

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

I have reached out to our team about the behavior you are seeing. Thank you for bringing it to our attention, we will be looking into this. 

TravelBear
Tutor
Tutor

I'm still hunting the Chime 1, but in the meantime can I run another couple of suspects past you?

Temperature.  Could the doorbell be getting too cold for the button to work at times?  (Still motion detecting through the camera all winter for me, but the button more temperamental).  Do you have any sense of whether the failure to rings were at particularly cold times?

Silent Mode.  I don't want the doorbell calling my phone, so I have silent mode set to stop calls, but allow Chimes.  I started wondering if maybe the silent setting was interfering with the Chimes, but not sure how exactly if it's ringing sometimes and not others.  I've also experienced the same intermittent problem when Silent Mode was switched off, but perhaps there is a bug in the Silent Mode which means things don't switch on and off the way they should?  Do you use Silent Mode at all and have any hiccups with it?

Called Arlo Customer Services to discuss the case.  Their computer system had automatically closed my case before anyone had responded to it.  The agent opened a new case and ran me through the troubleshooting check list (tedious given I'd done all these things many times over already).  Still having the problem, so have contacted them again and asked for it to be escalated.  I still think a problem with the doorbell is the number one suspect and would like to try a new doorbell unit.

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@DylanMuttley and @TravelBear are you on iOS or Android?

TravelBear
Tutor
Tutor

I'm on iOS.  iPhone App.  Latest version of App. 

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Thank you for providing that information. I am looking into this and will update the community as soon as possible. 

DylanMuttley
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am Iphone 11, iOS - 17.3.1

Now 4 days since Chime 1 installed and working brilliantly - test it every time I leave and come back to the house.

Discussion stats
  • 19 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation