Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo video doorbell does not work correctly with second push button

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
billklon
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have a digital doorbell that works fine with two push buttons.  How do I connect the Arlo essential wired (version 1.2) doorbell to a second button? One pushbutton on door and  one Arlo video doorbell on outside wall (typical southwest doorbell set up).

I have 17V at both locations, power module on "o".  My digital doorbell wiring diagram shows including a diode across the button to enable to door bell to work.  I have removed the diode because reduces voltage at Essential door bell to 9V.

The Arlo doorbell works by itself on the front wall.  When I add the second button on the door back into the circuit, the second button will not ring the digital doorbell. 

I bought a cheap mechanical to see if that made a difference.  It did not.

Any ideas?

7 REPLIES 7
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

I use a mechanical chime, not digital.  But either way, the back doorbell needs a second power kit installed at the chime.  Have you done that? 

Also, you don't want a diode at the doorbell (the power kit is used instead of the diode).  So you were right not to use that.

billklon
Aspirant
Aspirant

StephenB

Both buttons are on one circuit for the front doorbell.  There is no rear door bell set up so no need for a second transformer.

For now, I have disabled the Arlo doorbell button by setting bypass on the power kit. I use the motion detection mode for the doorbell and arm it to send me a text alert.  The second doorbell works but causes a tamper detection when it is pressed.  Any other ideas before I return or sell the the video doorbell?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@billklon wrote:

Both buttons are on one circuit for the front doorbell.  There is no rear door bell set up so no need for a second transformer.

I'm a bit confused by what you are saying.  Ordinarily the front and back doorbells are on different circuits, but share the same transformer.  And with that usual wiring, you do need two powerkits (one for each circuit).

What model chime are you using?

billklon
Aspirant
Aspirant

The circuit is typical for southwest.  One push button is on the court yard gate and the second push button is by the front door (which is inside the court yard).  Both ring the front doorbell.  So it is one pair of wires in parallel connected to the digital chime with the push buttons completing the circuit when either button is pushed.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@billklon wrote:

So it is one pair of wires in parallel connected to the digital chime with the push buttons completing the circuit when either button is pushed.

I haven't seen any posts here on that topology.  Does the chime have a separate terminal on it for a back door?

If it does, then you could try shifting the gate doorbell connection to the back door (and then connect the second power kit).  This of course assumes that both wires are connected together at the chime.

billklon
Aspirant
Aspirant

Problem is that it is one pair of wires at the chime, not two pairs

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@billklon wrote:

Problem is that it is one pair of wires at the chime, not two pairs

Did the digital doorbell work w/o the diode (but with the Arlo doorbell disconnected)?

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation