Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro 4 and Video Doorbell

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
GenieC
Aspirant
Aspirant

I purchased a Video Doorbell and Two Arlo Pro 4 Spotlight Cameras May 2021. Most of the time I don't get instant alerts from the Video Doorbell, sometimes I can go outside and it picks me up walking out to the mailbox (Pro 4) but not on the way back. The video doorbell completely missed and animal in my driveway trash my garden bed. The camera in the back yard is so dark at night i can't view anything in the back yard. I also have no video history.  When some motion should be detected there is no motion alerts. Anyone else have these problems?

8 REPLIES 8
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

GenieC,

It sounds like you could be experiencing an issue with sensitivity. Try adjust the sensitivity in your modes/rules until you achieve the desired results: How do I change the motion sensitivity on my Arlo camera?

Arlo Pro 4 has a night vision feature that will automatically enable when lighting in the surrounding environment is too low. To better understand what you're experiencing, please provide a screenshot from the cameras field of view.

Recorded events should be saved to your library. For recordings to be saved, you must have an active Arlo Smart trial or subscription plan. Do you have an active plan?

JamesC

GenieC
Aspirant
Aspirant

I adjusted the sensitivity and also the monitoring area. I'll see how that works.  I'm just not sure why the door bell camera did not pick up the animal in my front driveway. The camera I have in the back yard is on the shed and  about 20 feet from my deck. The camera lights up when an object is detected animal/person but it does not shine enough to illuminate the deck and the deck is dark if I don't have the outdoor light on, which means I would have to keep the outdoor light on all night. This is the area I am mainly concered about since it leads to my sliding glass door. I may have to illuminate deck with solar lights..........

I have a Arlo Smart  trial. I don't know how to provide a screen shot. Right now there is nothing in my Library as I deleted me testing the cameras and any video that is not important has been deleted.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@GenieC wrote:

I'm just not sure why the door bell camera did not pick up the animal in my front driveway. The camera I have in the back yard is on the shed and  about 20 feet from my deck.

How far away from the driveway (the point where the animal was)?

Motion detection uses PIR sensors - the range is about 20-25 feet for people, and it will be less for smaller animals.  It will detect sometimes at greater ranges, but not reliably.

GenieC
Aspirant
Aspirant

The driveway is abut 5 feet from the Front Door where the doorbell camera is but the planter which is 40 feet X 20 feet on the other side of the of the driveway is about 20-25 feet away.......

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@GenieC wrote:

The driveway is abut 5 feet from the Front Door where the doorbell camera is but the planter which is 40 feet X 20 feet on the other side of the of the driveway is about 20-25 feet away.......

If the animal was 20-25 feet away, and was relatively small, then it is quite likely that it was to far away to trigger the PIR sensor. 

GenieC
Aspirant
Aspirant

Last night the circle outfront by the driveway was again disturbed by some sort of animal which the dor  bell is not picking up and it made a mess. The anamal must be too small but the camera just sin't picking it up whatever it is.........

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@GenieC wrote:

Last night the circle outfront by the driveway was again disturbed by some sort of animal which the dor  bell is not picking up and it made a mess. The anamal must be too small but the camera just sin't picking it up whatever it is.........

Maybe temporarily relocate one of the Pro-4 cameras closer to the area.

GenieC
Aspirant
Aspirant

Good idea I am looking for an area as I type this note...........

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation