Arlo Essential Video Doorbell - Storage Choices and Benefits

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
RobFJ
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm thinking of buying and installing this video doorbell - hardwired so it will trickle charge and I can use the existing  bell.

It will be connected to a mesh network and I'm wondering what is best for storage. Do I go local, in which case is it a hub or base station or a cloud-based subscription.

It is possible that I'll also buy an external camera at a later date.

Any advice or things to avoid would be appreciated.

TIA

2 REPLIES 2
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

FWIW, I prefer using a hub to connect my cameras so I can use local storage even though I have a subscription. Since, depending on your account settings for things like activity zones, which can lead to a video being discarded local storage holds all recorded videos. That's useful to see if something was discarded that you really wanted to see. I don't use it often but I like having the option.

Lotsa folks like connecting to their WiFi without the extra cost of a hub, too. There's the occasional issue connecting to certain mesh systems but those can be resolved.

Good luck deciding...

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@RobFJ wrote:

It will be connected to a mesh network and I'm wondering what is best for storage.

If you connect it to your home wifi, then the only option for storage is the subscription.

With a smarthub (VMB4540 or VMB5000), you could use the direct access to local storage feature.  But it has limitations:

1. recordings only available from the app (NOT the browser).
  2. recordings only available using the primary account (not friend accounts)
  3. no ability to make manual recordings or take snapshots
  4. no thumbnails - recordings need to be downloaded to the phone before you can view them.
  5. remote access requires router setting changes that many find difficult (and which won't work with some internet service providers).

Doorbell cameras can't be aimed, so they often do require activity zones to keep recordings and notifications managable.  Activity zones require the subscription, so you likely will need one even if you get a hub.

One possibility is to start w/o the hub, as you can add it later on if you discover you don't need activity zones.

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation