Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

ARLO VIDEO DOORBELL MALFUNCTIONING

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Itsjust_glo
Aspirant
Aspirant
I purchased this video doorbell June 4,2021, so I am still well in my 3- month trial period. I noticed on June 18th that my video doorbell had not been recording motion, looking at my library history since JUNE 15TH! That’s 3 whole days . I troubleshooted with an Arlo support agent, and even with my internet provide whom Arlo seemed to be quick to blame. However all my other devices are working properly on my internet, as well as my Arlo and cell phone are the only two devices connected to my 2.4 network! As well as accessing my live feed there is a delay, sometimes it takes forever for me to get to viewing it. Or I’ll even have to exit out or all my other task screen just to load the Arlo app to view my footage. Then when I try to answer a call it doesn’t always answer so I can talk to my guest it just hangs it up, and I have to go onto my live feed and hit the audio button to talk to them. It seemed many of my issues just recently started this past week, or at least my noticing them because prior too and when I first bought the device it worked fine.
7 REPLIES 7
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Slow response can be an issue with the signal strength/quality between the doorbell and router. Check the strength as well as look for other 2.4GHz wireless devices near either the doorbell or router that could be interfering. What's the house construction? Some forms really block the signal with stucco being maybe the worst. 

Try removing the doorbell from outside and take it inside for testing. Does it work better there?

Itsjust_glo
Aspirant
Aspirant
No this doesn’t fix it nor is it the problem. Router to doorbell distance is only 3-4 feet!

Here is the message I sent to the Arlo support :

Hello, the Arlo unfortunately is still having issues and not working properly.
I have also tried to troubleshooting steps with an support agent previously, as well as on my own since I first submitted this request and the issues still persist.
1. The motion detection I actually “try” to adjust to 100% however when I always go back to view it had decrease itself to 80%.

2. The position of the Arlo is sufficient and correct. It’s not that I’m unable to see the view, its that the functions of the Arlo are not working consistent and effectively. Hence meaning the intermittent motion detecting, delayed live viewing, as well as it has begun saying the camera is offline since the resetting and troubleshooting.

This all is very inconvenient and saddening , due to the fact I bought the video doorbell for some sense of security however it is not providing that.

1. I bought this product June 4, 2021 from BEST BUY.
2. I first noticed the issue June 18, when I realize my library of recordings only showed history up until june 15; when again I’m fact it’s was June 18th. So the video doorbell had not been working for at least 3 whole days, and I had been passing in and out by it so it should’ve been.
3. The router and camera or only about 4-5 feet apart very close in proximity so that couldn’t be the issue.
4. I have no base station so that isn’t applicable
5. To my 2.4 network which is my GUEST network there are only 2 devices connected , PURPOSELY; which is my cellular device (iPhone 12) and the Arlo itself. All my other devices are connected to 5 network.

6. I have performed all of these steps as well, even called my internet provider and spent hours assessing the internet.

At this point I do believe it may be an issue with the Arlo device itself. Seeing when I first purchased it was working effectively and running as it should, then just up until recently I starting having these issues.

As more specifically it isn’t that the Arlo device is not showing, picking up motion, ect At all. It is just doing so INTERMITTENTLY!

ALSO:
The functions under settings do not stay as I set them, I’ve attached a video to show this as well. Then yesterday when I was even trying to get back to where I started the ticket for the issue with the Arlo support, I could not see it under my settings column.

Update: wouldn’t let me post the video but in the photo you can see where it was recording until the 15TH then stopped then started back the 18th.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Motion sensitivity is set in your modes and rules, not the motion test in the camera settings. 

Since the doorbell is new, I would swap at the store - it may simply be faulty.

Itsjust_glo
Aspirant
Aspirant
Yes! That was something I just learned because I was wondering why it said motion test, however was not setting to the level I put it. However yes I think it just may be faulty because it still does nothing constantly pick up motion. Like it might pick up when I leave home, then some activity while I’m gone. Then right before it will stop possibly, i won’t notice until I come home or look that there is not visual or recording of me COMING HOME. Lol knowing I left home and it recorded but it won’t show me coming home.
Itsjust_glo
Aspirant
Aspirant
Does your video doorbell RECORD MOTION DETECTION everytime ?

Mine is not, yes I’ve done all the trouble shooting. However I think it maybe be a location issue with my unit . Because my AT&T internet has always been choppy . However when I call them they say it’s testing good, but mainly my 5 network which the doorbell has to be on 2.4 so it does me no justice
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Itsjust_glo,

A choppy internet connection could result in missed recordings. For recordings to be saved to the cloud the doorbell must maintain it's internet connection. If the internet connection is down, this is likely why you're seeing inconsistencies in what is being saved.

JamesC

Itsjust_glo
Aspirant
Aspirant
Please read my previous reply ,
Points 3-5 specifically !
Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation