• 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
rsekicom
Aspirant
Aspirant

hello,

i have at home:

- arlo video doorbell 2K (cable A nad B for further explanation)

- transformer 8V

- mechanical chime 8V (cable C and D)

I connected it like this:

cable A to transformer

cable B to cable C

cable D to transformer

It makes a functional circuit, therefore every works fine.

BUT the problem is, that Arlo is NOT charging at all, in contrary, it is draining the battery within 1 day.

If i disconnect the mechanical chime, therefore the cable A and B go to transformer only, then the doorbell is slowly charging and working OK (except the fact that there is no chime...)

what should i do?

5 REPLIES 5
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

This could be due to the transformer not meeting the minimum requirements, take a look here: https://kb.arlo.com/000062329/Arlo-Essential-Video-Doorbell-Wired-FAQ#:~:text=The%20voltage%20of%20t...

What are the minimum requirements to use an Arlo Essential Video Doorbell Wired?

To install an Arlo Essential Video Doorbell Wired, you must have an existing wired doorbell and chime with electrical wiring to a chime box. The voltage of the doorbell transformer must be between 16-24V AC.

rsekicom
Aspirant
Aspirant

IMG_2709.jpg

Hello,

I am very surprised from your answer... since reading the box of the doorbell I see specifically written "...with voltage between 8 V AC to 24 V AC..." - what does it mean? why are you saying differently from what I actually bought?

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Apologies, I misread the original post and the information I provided above was for the 1st generation doorbell, not the 2nd generation.

However, with 8V AC being the minimum requirement, it would seem your transformer may not be providing enough power when the doorbell and Chime is connected. This would explain why the doorbell charges slowly without the Chme connected, but drains once you've added the Chime back to the configuration.

I encourage you to reach out to support using the Arlo app under Settings > Support to investigate the issue further.

JamesC

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@JamesC wrote:

However, with 8V AC being the minimum requirement,

The second minimum requirement is for power (requiring >= 10 VA in addition to >= 8 volts).

There is some loss through the wiring, so if your chime can handle a higher voltage transformer, it might be worth trying that.

rsekicom
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello all, so i made some tests and this is the outcome:

- on the box it says from 8 to 24

- at 8 it works ONLY alone, withiu a chime (or without a chime that needs current)

- at a value between 8 and 24 it drains slower, but still it does not work other than alone for more than 2 days

- only option to use the doorbell with chime is at 24

bey