Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Distorted sound/feedback while answering doorbell

Discussion stats
  • 20 Replies
  • 8 Likes
  • 11 In Conversation
Jharding61
Guide
Guide

I am now on my second Arlo doorbell, both have shown the same very annoying behaviour.  When answering the phone call the video is fine and I can hear the caller.  But as soon as I enable the mic on my Google Pixel 6 Pro I get a horrible squawking noise, that is played out of both the phone and the doorbell.  It is impossible for the caller to understand me, and the sound gets progressively louder.  Both doorbells have displayed this behaviour, the first was returned to the retailer for an exchange, but the new one does exactly the same thing.  Is this problem specific to Pixel phones?  Is there a setting for the phone  I am unaware of?  It occurs both with the phone alone, or if I try and use the phone through a Bluetooth device.  I can play the pre-recorded messages without an issue (only with the mic off during the call). Also if I connect to the camera directly both the mic and speaker are perfectly fine.  The issue seems to be specific to the phone call.

Arlo Video Doorbell 2nd Gen 

20 REPLIES 20
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

The development team is currently investigating reports of this issue. I will provide an update as soon as I have more information available to share.

JamesC

Jharding61
Guide
Guide

James,

Thank you very much.  I await your further advice on this issue.

Regards,

Jackson

JC9000
Initiate
Initiate

The newly purchased Arlo video doorbell ver2 has an issue with feedback/echo noise when used in conjunction with the Google Pixel 8 phone and the Arlo secure app.  The feedback/echo noise is experienced when answering the doorbell and renders the answering function unusable. The app and doorbell work fine when used for monitoring and audio.

-have performed factory reset on doorbell

-have installed app multiple times on the Pixel 8 and updated Pixel 8 to latest firmwaren adn app software

-works fine when installed on multiple Samsung S20 phones

Help with this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Deedee65
Aspirant
Aspirant

https://youtu.be/_oPxt5EERQE?si=9CHRpnRktSM719aI

this video helped me with my cameral issue like yours

Jharding61
Guide
Guide

Thank you.  This doesn't work with the Arlo cameras as they do not have those controls available when a caller uses the doorbell.  They are only available when you activate the camera directly yourself, and in that situation it already works perfectly.

Deedee65
Aspirant
Aspirant

oh ok, it was worth a try I guess

Alexklimaj
Tutor
Tutor

I'm having this same problem with mine. Almost unusable with the amount of audio feedback and echo I get trying to talk through the doorbell.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

There was a recent poster who stated he used some sort of sticky putty (?) to clean out the mic opening on his camera even though it looked clean. That won't address a hardware issue but it might be worth a try.

Jharding61
Guide
Guide

Yes, that's exactly what is happening.  Sounds identical.  Any solution?

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Alexklimaj, Jharding61

What model streaming device are you using (Android/iOS)? Are you able to reproduce this issue if you use a different streaming device?

JamesC

Alexklimaj
Tutor
Tutor

Pixel 6

Luisncrystal
Initiate
Initiate

Also having the same issas  with google pixel 6 android.  It works perfectly fine on an iOS apple device as I tried connecting with my son's phone. Please look into the matter that seem to be affecting many google pixel phone users.

Luisncrystal
Initiate
Initiate

Any update as it's been over a month? And it seems to be affecting all google pixel users 

Alexklimaj
Tutor
Tutor

It appears that Arlo has no Android developers after the recent app crashing on android beta. Really regretting not going with Ring. I've had years of flawless performance on Ring at my house.

Jharding61
Guide
Guide

The Arlo team have been working on this.  I have been asked to beta test new firmware, and so far it is working well and has addressed the problem, at least on my device.  I suspect once testing is finished they will push the update to everyone.

Millertime667
Aspirant
Aspirant

We have had this since the beginning. Horrible feedback, delays, no one can clearly hear us.

Also we have had issues where we didn't intend the answer the doorbell ring on our phones, but it must have answered automatically via a fitbit or something. While receiving the package the voices were super delayed and feedback coming out of the doorbell was horrible, we had to talk loudly to understand each other above the noise.

Literally today I was going to unplug it and order a different brand. I don't think I can wait much longer because it's a horrific feature. I wish I could turn it off from ringing to our phones at all, so there is no accidental answer and loud, grating noise our mail delivery guy flinches from.

I wouldn't buy again.

hpatel85
Aspirant
Aspirant
Has this been resolved? I'm having the same issue with my Gen 2 on a Samsung galaxy s23 ultra
Sammy123
Aspirant
Aspirant

I get the same horrible feedback on my Motorola G6 phone as well. The microphone is basically worthless, as I can speak with anyone at the Arlo 2nd Generation Doorbell. The noise is so bad, they can't hear me & I can't hear them!!!!

Also the Setting part of the App is terrible. I CANNOT find anywhere to make the advertised selections to ignore dogs/animals, cars in the camera field of view.

Totally unsatisfied with this product. The Arlo website is not very helpful. I go to the page to view a User's Manual for a number of their products & all I get is the marginal Quick Start installation instructions.

We'll see if they respond directly within a day or two to address the problems. If not I will be returning this junk for a refund & going to a Ring device!

Mike9990
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the same problem with both a Nokia C100 phone and a Samsung Galaxy A03S.  Actually the screechy feedback also builds up on it's own if I open the app and go to the live view.   I have tried all solutions I have found online with zero luck.  Arlo has been no help whatsoever, and my only step is to return it and get another one which will probably have the same defect, as it has been more than 30 days. 

Needless to say, I have a feeling that Arlo is less than honest.