Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

pieces of video missing

Discussion stats
  • 14 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

With all the issues with this last firmware the one thing I see hasn't been mentioned by anyone else and so I'm wondering if anyone else has seen this.  The camera set to 45 sec. will trigger and show the trigger (say a vehicle) in the library but the clip is only 7 or 9 secs.  The last 7 or 8 sec,  with everything from the trigger to the last secs missing.  So if it takes a pic of the vehicle at trigger where did the next 35 secs go.

14 REPLIES 14
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Are you using "record till motion stops"??

If so, try a FIXED time like 30-45 secs...see if it makes a diff

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

As I said, camera is set to 45 sec recording, otherwise it never records a complete event.  The snapshot of the trigger is taken but then is blank until the last 9 sec of the 45 sec recording as the event ends.

kilowattamato
Tutor
Tutor

Hello, my issue is not the same but will try piggy backing off this post...if not I will create new subject/post; just not sure how to describe the picture video quality captured (attached). 

So I finally mounted my ultra camera to view driveway. Mail van pulled in and video footage was recorded. When I viewed the clip, the recording is decent but becomes unrecognizable/distorted. Is this typical video quality for ultra camera and expected to happen often? Please see example clip. Thanks in advance for any feedback. 

never mind, can't figure out how to attach video clip 😞

kilowattamato
Tutor
Tutor

I see how to attach now 🙂 

please see video clip...does this typhappen often?

kilowattamato
Tutor
Tutor
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

kilowattamato,

Poor signal strength or interference could result in the symptoms you're describing. How far from the SmartHub is that camera? What does the signal strength icon show?

JamesC

LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

Killowattamato, I've had mine 14 months now and that has happened maybe 4 or 5 times and pretty sure it's a signal thing where something has caused a glitch.  I can go live right after it has happened and things are fine.  If it happens often then look for an issue as James said. Been my experience anyway.

LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

JamesC, there are still missing pieces of video happening, just not as often but then I quit using fixed timed recordings because of it.  But I just had one where in he trigger shot I am clearly standing 10 feet in front of the camera but if you play the video I am nowhere in the clip.

kilowattamato
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks guys, very much appreciated. I'm sure that's it, weak signal strength. At one time my signal strength meter read higher but I just looked and it's red in color with the lowest bar possible. The base unit is in basement and the subject camera is not directly above but approximately 30' across the house, up a floor and outside. I'll have to look into getting a wifi signal booster.  

Thanks guys again for your feedback and help! 

LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

A regular wi-fi booster will not work.  For best performance of the hub it's have it high.  Just raising mine 4 inches above my entertainment center to within 2 inches of my ceiling gets the best performance.  For multi storied houses where a booster is needed you need a second or depending 3rd hub.  An ethernet  run or powerline adapter will be necessary.  Unless someone knows of another way.  

LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

I should have added to first try a hub reset and look at your numbers.  Occasionally I've had to do a 3 or 4 reset to get the best signal on all cameras but that's me, shoot for the best number even if it's working.  If I have 2 bars but think I might get 3, I have to try lol

kilowattamato
Tutor
Tutor

Good insight. I'll have to play around with different heights and locations. Glad you mentioned that about the regular wifi booster would not work, thank you. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@LandJS wrote:

For best performance of the hub it's have it high.  Just raising mine 4 inches above my entertainment center to within 2 inches of my ceiling gets the best performance.  For multi storied houses where a booster is needed you need a second or depending 3rd hub.  An ethernet  run or powerline adapter will be necessary.  Unless someone knows of another way.  

Some devices can cause wifi interference - so keeping the base station away from those is a good idea.  If it's near your router, move it as far as the ethernet cable will reach.  I suspect that in @LandJS 's case, something in the entertainment center might be causing interference or perhaps blocking the signal.  Whether that guess is right or not, it certainly is true that the location of the base station can make a big difference in signal quality.

If you have an Android phone, you can install a free app that lets you see the signal strength of the Arlo wifi.  There are several out there, including one from Netgear.  That can be a handy way to troubleshoot signal strength.

FWIW, in addition to ethernet and powerline networking, some wifi extenders also support ethernet connections, and you can connect the base to that.  Ethernet is best, though the others often work ok.

kilowattamato
Tutor
Tutor

My hub is close to my router, so I will definitely increase it's proximity distance. 

Discussion stats
  • 14 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation