Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

camera missing things in view

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
agnespie
Aspirant
Aspirant

E9B72C4E-88D3-4F16-86C8-70255A97ACEF.jpeg

I think it’s pretty insane that my camera won’t record any activity in my driveway.   no matter if I set activity zones or not. it won’t catch anything. not anyone walking. or my car going up and down the driveway.

it will mostly only pick up things around front door.  i’ve attached a picture showing the area I wish it would catch recordings. what can i do?

5 REPLIES 5
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@agnespie wrote:

I think it’s pretty insane that my camera won’t record any activity in my driveway.  

Motion detection uses passive infrared (PIR) detectors that have a range of 20-25 feet.  Your driveway appears to be quite a bit further than that.

Moving the camera or adding a second one are I think the only options.

agnespie
Aspirant
Aspirant

this is wide angle view. it’s not that far. not sure how much exactly. but not 20-25feet

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@agnespie wrote:

this is wide angle view. it’s not that far. not sure how much exactly. but not 20-25feet

Maybe measure it or pace it off to confirm  Keep in mind that the diagonal from the camera to the ground is further than the distance along the ground.

agnespie
Aspirant
Aspirant

but I get recordings of cars driving in the street. and that’s further away than my driveway 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@agnespie wrote:

but I get recordings of cars driving in the street. and that’s further away than my driveway 

Mine also will detect some vehicles on the street.  But it doesn't detect all vehicles.  It depends on the amount of infrared coming from the vehicle (both engine heat and reflected sun), and the size of the vehicle.

You can use the motion detection test to get an idea of the range.

FWIW, the motion detection range listed on the Ultra datasheet is 25 feet.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation