Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Would you purchase Arlo Ultra again?

Discussion stats
pivotalrex
Initiate
Initiate

We're looking at both the Arlo Ultra and Pro 3. Honestly, all I seem to read is problems with these systems. I wanted to know if there are users out there that are satisfied with the system and would purchase it again if they had the choice?

Otherwise we'll be going with Montavue wired camera system but the cost would be almost triple once installed. 

35 REPLIES 35
BJT_Ultra
Guide
Guide

Absolutely not, in fact shortly after I bought the Arlo Ultra system I went and bought the Eufy Cam system because I was so disappointed with the Ultras, so I've been able to directly compare them side by side for the last 6 months. The Eufy Cam is far superior in my opinion:

- It's absolutely 100% free with zero subscriptions, but has all the same functionality (and more)

: activity zones, animal/human detection, facial recognition built in and no subscription, and they just work! I've had zero false alarms unlike Arlo.

- They detect and alert far faster than the Ultra which has a delay.

- battery lasts more than twice the time

- Thumbnails on locally stored videos (even remotely)

- Locally stored videos are accessible through the app remotely without having to sort out VPN's/port forwarding etc, they just work with no setup

- Battery backup on base unit (for my model)

- Wifi capable base unit

- Built in extremely LOUD base siren and camera sirens, (nothing on the Arlo apart from skimpy camera sirens that wouldn't wake a baby).

- Built in tamper detection and camera siren if people touch them

- Camera speakers actually loud enough to carry on a proper conversation with someone (Ultra's are extremely quiet with the camera speakers and you can barely hear the other person)

- Haven't had the ongoing, endless problems like with Arlo, Activity Zones not working and waking me up at night with false alarms, cameras disappearing off the 'cameras participating' in the subscription list etc etc etc.

- Far cheaper

- Other things that I can't think of right now..

My opinion - stay well away and get a Eufy Cam!

dcfox1
Master
Master

@pivotalrex  I have the Pro 3 and have not had any problems other then activitiy zones which have appeared to have fixed today. Some minor quirks but would buy again. Cant speak to the Ultra but it does seem to have more problems from users here. 

Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
I've had Arlo for years and seen in problem after problem they update the firmware and they break everything over and over again there is no way I would ever buy this product again
KKobes
Guide
Guide
I agree with everyone else. The system is terrible. I have issues with one and dealing with getting a replacement has been a complete joke & fumble on Arlo’s part. Personally if I wasn’t so invested in Arlo I would get the Eufy cams as well. If you need to stick with Arlo go with the Pro 3. I have one and it’s been better than the Ultra & Pro 2 for motion detection, battery life, no issues with it, WiFi signal is stronger and everything else for that matter.
n11
Apprentice
Apprentice

I would definitely NOT buy this system again. I consider buying the Arlo Ultra system one of the worst purchase decisions I've ever made.

With any other product I'd respond with a thoughtful answer and supporting facts and opinions. Arlo has sapped all of my energy so I have basically just thrown in the towel. I don't call customer support because it just causes frustration. I'd much rather be positive and helpful but it seems like one problem solved just leads to the next problem. It's really pretty sad.

Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

Tried them both, the Pro 3 and the Ultra, returned them to store for refund. Will not ever again purchase an Arlo product. Regret having invested so much money and time in their systems for last five years.

Cobra99
Star
Star

Well, I am still happy with it. I own four Ultra cams and the video/picture quality is excellent. In my configuration they work smoothly and with the possibility to use a solar panel to charge them up, is quite handy. I use a solar panel for two cams who are highly exposed and therefore are heavily used.

The only drawback is during night in a very dark place (no moonlight, etc.). In such places the video quality is too low to even recognise anything. But even for this there's a solution with an additional security light.

Overall I'm happy with the Arlo Ultra and I cannot confirm all the above mentioned issues... But this is my own personal opinion.

Best regards

pivotalrex
Initiate
Initiate

Thanks for all the insight. Might look into the pro, but will definitely check out the Eufy as some suggested. 

Mad_cow
Apprentice
Apprentice

Don't do it. Keep looking past the Arlo systems

The hardware is good, ill give it that. All the software that runs it is bad. Id never buy another one again.

I have issues with my batteries not charging more than 5% I have tried to contact Arlo support, but even that is terrible.

BJT_Ultra
Guide
Guide

I'd suggest having a look for the channel "LifeHackster" on Youtube who reviews in detail all the various brands and models.

LarryNA74
Initiate
Initiate

No I would not buy this system again. I have the Arlo Ultra (5 cams and 2 base stations) and Xfinity Internet with 1 GB download speed and usually get around 500-600mbps. I am getting rid of this system and replacing My Security Camswith a wired system.

Arlo Ultra problems 1. Goes offline frequently 2. lag is 5-10 secs 3. Some cameras pick up motion of a person, car, animal, etc. and others do not (some do not pick up at all) 3. Cameras need to be charged at least weekly (annoying) and if I get lucky, I might get two weeks if that (rare) 4. Microphone is horrible 5. There is no way you can use the two-way speaker (communication) function because by the time you communicate with the person they are gone or do not hear anything. There is a lot more but not the worth the time to explain.

This system is frustrating and very disappointing for the money I invested into the system. In my experience, this system is nothing but problems and gives me headaches. To be honest I had high hopes for Arlo Ultra but invest the money into a system that will actually work. This system is not what you want for the security of your home and peace of mind.  

Disappointed Arlo User and Will never go back. 

Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
Totally agree would not buy this system again. They don't even seem to care they just keep breaking it over and over again
Kaynadian
Luminary
Luminary

Personally, I had a good experience with Arlo Pro 2. Which prompted me to try Arlo Pro 3, which then, has become my ultra biggest nightmare. I personally would think twice before going back to another Arlo product. If you have no IT/tech experience, I'd recommend avoiding Arlo. They don't have in person support and their remote support isn't that great.

Customer Service is slow for tech support. It took 3 weeks (with constant follow ups) to get a hold of an agent. Now, I finally get a hold of an agent, whom, seems like he's lacking IT skills because I seem to be troubleshooting for him. The only good thing is, he actually replies to me relatively promptly, but that's it. But constantly calls me every other day for recordings/screenshots of my issues (and I think - man! Couldn't you have asked this all at once?! So my literally, job every day for the past week has been screen recording for Customer Service with no solution yet). I got really frustrated, and think now I feel bad because he's only working for Arlo so he's doing his job. But, with the constant issues, I SERIOUSLY wish I just bought a Security Camera plan with my Internet Provider for more money, and had that in person troubleshooting option available. Remote troubleshooting is horrible.

To conclude, I'd recommend something. I have read issues with Nest too, but I feel like Google is a bigger company and employs proper tech support, so likely much more worthwhile to try. They also have more online resources too. I troubleshoot using their resources. If Arlo successfully resolves my current situation (that NOW HAS BEEN PENDING FOR OVER 19 DAYS!), I may reconsider them in the future. If they don't, well, I'm saying my farewell and never coming back.

Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
When it works properly I love it unfortunately they update the firmware and they keep breaking it.
Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
When I bought it about 10 months ago it worked great but now not so much
Blacky17557
Apprentice
Apprentice

I share your pain!!

I had a quick question about the Eufy?

How do you recharge the battery on the Eufy please?

Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
From the USB port
Blacky17557
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thank You!!

Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
👍
Blacky17557
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thanks again for your In Depth Analysis and Opinion when comparing the Arlo System to the Eufy System.

I thought about it long and hard - and after so much dissatisfaction with the Arlo, and, in particular, their Customer Support I bit the bullet and just purchased a 2 Camera System direct from Anker Eufy Aus (They have an EOFY Sale at the moment) for $639.  I will add one further Camera down the track.

I can't wait to Sell my Arlo System and install the Eufy System.  Very good reviews. Seems a MUCH better sysytem.

Thanks again for your impute - appreciated.

As the Germans would say - Arlo are KAPUT!!!!

Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

Kaynadian wrote:

“If Arlo successfully resolves my current situation (that NOW HAS BEEN PENDING FOR OVER 19 DAYS!), I may reconsider them in the future.....”

So you’re saying that you would reconsider them in the future, for fixing things for you now. What about all other issues so far, yours and all others around here?

In my own personal experience, I used to think the same way and kept up with reasonably good expectations for things to change.

Years later, I would have to say that was a little naive and very foolish of me. What a mistake that turned out to be.

Blacky17557
Apprentice
Apprentice

Sorry but I had one last question you may be able to answer please.

Re the latest Eufy Cameras (The long ones) - would they fit the Arlo Outdoor Metal Security Mount thread?

Just wanted to know in advance if I could use my existing outdoor mounts - if they had the same thread.

Thanks in advance ....

BJT_Ultra
Guide
Guide

They use the same standard camera mount thread as the Arlo.

Blacky17557
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thanks so much for that!!

This means that I can use the existing Arlo metal outdoor mounts for the new Eufy Cameras - which will save time and no more drilling required.

Thanks for your quick answer - appreciated.