Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Joe817
Tutor
Tutor
What is the relationship between the SmartHub and wi-Fi? I have three routers in my network. Does the SmartHub pickup camera signals through the Wi-Fi network or only by directly connecting to the SmartHub? What are the SmartHub wi-fi settings 2.4 vs 5 and which channels? I can work around what my routers are using if I know more about the SmartHub.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
brh
Master
Master

@Joe817,

Just like all of the Arlo Wire Free cameras the Ultra hub is a bridge between the wifi and the cameras. The hub connects to the router with an ethernet cable and communicates both ways to the cameras and the wifi. The communication between the hub and the cameras is done on a different frequency than the straight wifi signal. As far as I know, the communication between the hub and the camera will automatically select between 2.4 and 5 ghz depending on signal strength. The consumer has no control over this.

Brian

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
brh
Master
Master

@Joe817,

Just like all of the Arlo Wire Free cameras the Ultra hub is a bridge between the wifi and the cameras. The hub connects to the router with an ethernet cable and communicates both ways to the cameras and the wifi. The communication between the hub and the cameras is done on a different frequency than the straight wifi signal. As far as I know, the communication between the hub and the camera will automatically select between 2.4 and 5 ghz depending on signal strength. The consumer has no control over this.

Brian

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

To be clear, Arlo has no connection with your WiFi whatsoever, other than the Q cameras which do use your WiFi. The connection between the base and cameras is totally dedicated and does not interact with you WiFi in any way.

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@jguerdat wrote:

To be clear, Arlo has no connection with your WiFi whatsoever, other than the Q cameras which do use your WiFi.

Even there some clarification might help.

Q cameras can use your wifi. But that is not essential. They can also use wired LAN. Mine does.

So Arlo can work on a network that has no wifi.

But you do need wifi if you want to use wifi clients to access Arlo devices.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

A clarification of the clarification.  🙂

The Q Plus camera can use Ethernet instead of WiFi. The original Q must use WiFi.

Joe817
Tutor
Tutor
Ok if Arlo SmartHub and the Ultra camera does not use my existing Wi-Fi. Does the SmartHub use
Wi-Fi 2.4, 5.0 or some other frequency. I know the SmartHub depends on the network to supply IP address and the DNS gateway.
michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@Joe817 wrote:
Does the SmartHub use
Wi-Fi 2.4, 5.0

Both, if Netgear's Wifi Analytics app for Android is to be believed.

Any reason why you need to know?

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
Joe817
Tutor
Tutor
Need to know for two reasons:
1- want to minimize interference with the existing WiFi.
2- camera placement next to existing WiFi but over 300 ft away from Smart hub. Seem to work with poor connection. One solution it to install another SmartHub but then this leads to setting up a separate WiFi.
michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@Joe817 wrote:

2- camera placement next to existing WiFi but over 300 ft away from Smart hub. Seem to work with poor connection. One solution it to install another SmartHub but then this leads to setting up a separate WiFi.

That's a long stretch.

Another hub would have to be wired to a router or access point nearer to the remote camera.

You would not need to set up any separate wifi. The hub and camera would have their own wireless connection. There would be a wired connection between hub and remote router/access point.

One way of connecting another hub to the network would be with Powerline Ethernet | NETGEAR.

But that depends on having a decent mains circuit with plugs in the right place.

Just another user
Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation