Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

VMC5040 - Record for a fixed length of time not working

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
ArloWatcher
Luminary
Luminary

I noticed that my Arlo Ultra camera has problems recording motion activated video. This is a brand new replacement camera that Arlo just shipped me.

Since this camera has problems recording activity based video, I decided to try the "Record for a fixed length of time" option under Mode => Armed => Camera => Edit => Record Video => Record for a fixed length of time. Funny how went I set it to record 30 seconds, it may record 30 seconds or it may record for 0, 8 14 or any other length of time that it chooses. This option doesn't seem to work as planned. I just happened to try to recharge the camera while leaving it mounted and to my surprise the 30 second record option now works fine, but it I remove the charger cable, it goes back to recording video for however it wants.

@JamesC 
What do you think is going wrong here?

- Is it the camera? Hopefully not, Arlo just shipped it
 - Is it the software?

- Is it the battery?

6 REPLIES 6
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

My first guess would be the signal between the camera and hub. Try moving the camera closer to the hub to see if that makes a difference.

ArloWatcher
Luminary
Luminary

Tried that already and I get the same results, on battery it records anywhere from 0 to whatever it decides, but with the charger attached, 30 seconds every time.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

If removing and resyncing the camera doesn't help, use the Contact Support link at the bottom here.

ArloWatcher
Luminary
Luminary

Nothing seems to help. It only seems to like to be on the charger.

• I wonder If the battery is bad?
  • Anyone every hear of a bad battery?
  • How would you test a battery?
  • What's the warranty on the battery?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I'd just cut to the chase and use the Contact Support link at the bottom here. Batteries can go bad and have the same 1 year warranty as the camera.

ArloWatcher
Luminary
Luminary

Working with support now to troubleshoot the problem. I think it's the battery

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation