Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
JeffreyM
Aspirant
Aspirant
Lost access to local video library both on home network and with port forwarding recently. Can’t access from iPhone. Get this screen with no functionality.
83BEAAEC-89C4-4C10-85CF-50EAD98B4784.png
Best answers
  • JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

I've escalated these concerns. The team is currently reviewing these reports. I will provide an update as soon as I know more.

JamesC

48 REPLIES 48
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

The development team is continuing to review reports of this issue. I will provide an update as soon as I know more.

JamesC

v_v
Guide
Guide

Has anyone ever tried accessing the microSD card from a computer? There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason why the "Smart"Hub organizes the way it does.

Today, I had to pull videos off of the microSD card using my Mac because I, too, cannot access local storage through the Arlo app.

To find the videos, I had to search by the device's serial number, the date with the format of YYYYMMDD, and the file type. Because the "Smart"Hub inserts a random string of characters mid-file name, I had to sort by Date Created to arrange the results in chronological order.

I don't understand why a computer's search function is the only serious way of retrieving videos of off the microSD card.

I've seen this complaint many times. In addition to the fix to allow access to local storage through the app, maybe we can also get a new logical folder structuring and file naming scheme?

Screen Shot 2022-05-04 at 6.27.34 PM.jpg
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

To be fair, the local storage is advertised as a backup, not a primary method of storage. Not sure why computers aren't allowed to view the local storage directly - maybe a future enhancement (or not)? Use of the app removes all the naming issues you see on the computer.

NOMOREFUDGICLES
Tutor
Tutor
You might want to review the entire thread when you comment; arlo suggested that BECAUSE they've broken our ability to access the locally stored clips on the base, we stick the memory card in another device to retrieve what we need. This is about the inability for any device to access the locally stored video on the VMB5000.
srandall25
Apprentice
Apprentice
You can access it directly in a computer. Just put the media card in and view it.
ericjohnson1313
Tutor
Tutor

All of a sudden it says i cannot access my locally stored videos via my arlo app and that i have to transfer my USB device to my computer to view them.  Is this true or is there a way to view local videos on the app?

Thanks!

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@ericjohnson1313 wrote:

All of a sudden it says i cannot access my locally stored videos via my arlo app and that i have to transfer my USB device to my computer to view them.  Is this true or is there a way to view local videos on the app?

Some users have run into this (one of my own smarthubs isn't showing local storage, though the recordings are definitely being stored). I believe Arlo is investigating.

I do suggest ejecting the storage, and putting into a PC, and checking that yours are being stored also.  If the PC wants to "repair" the storage, then let it do that.

Can you confirm that this is with a VMB4540 (and not the VMB4500)?  Also, have you double checked that direct storage access is enabled in the storage settings for the smarthub in the app?

ericjohnson1313
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks for the reply StephenB - i can confirm it is a VMB4540r2.  And yes the direct storage setting is enabled.  I was just wondering if they changed something.  

Zsaraman
Tutor
Tutor

Very similar situation - have an ongoing task in with service support, cant access any recording on my Basestation (having followed all the instructions given - reboot, factory reboot). The situation varies between Android and iPad - glad it’s not just me.

Some days Android even show the hub as an option then others not. It does however sometimes state “There was an error obtaining your library. Arlo team is working on this issue”.

Firmware ISS 1.18.0_31197_d554faf

Jwolf35
Aspirant
Aspirant
Any updates? I’ve been having the same issue for a few weeks now.
Zsaraman
Tutor
Tutor

I’ve had a message from support - its a known issue that is actually wide spread (what ever that means) and they are looking into it. I’ve sent Arlo two sets of diagnostic files - one Android on iOS. But nothing so far apart from if I want to see the BaseStation files I have to unmount the SD Card.

stvnuk
Aspirant
Aspirant
Is this issue still not fixed? I can't check as I've reluctantly resorted to a paid cloud storage until local storage is fixed.
Zsaraman
Tutor
Tutor

I have been informed this morning that it is still on their to do list - not sure how many people are effected but it must be a fair few.

Zsaraman
Tutor
Tutor

Now seen a app update in both Android and iPadOS - neither have fixed the issue, I’m happy to have a subscription working but this still only gives me 30 days worth. Come on Arlo get this fixed.

Jwolf35
Aspirant
Aspirant
I noticed this appears to be fixed on my end as of this morning. Even videos captured while it wasn’t working are now available through the app. Anyone else?
Zsaraman
Tutor
Tutor

I was told late last week that a fix was imminent. Nothing yet for Android and iPadOS yet here, but glad to hear its on its way and even better showing all missing items.

Zsaraman
Tutor
Tutor

Its now over a month (July 14th) and still no update

Zsaraman
Tutor
Tutor

Well its now nearly Oct and still no fix. Arlo closed my original support request so I have resubmitted it and asked for an update as this has been going on for 10+ months.

stvnuk
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for chasing this - it's ridiculous that they can break core functionality then pretend nothing is wrong. Good luck and thanks again.

Zsaraman
Tutor
Tutor

After the original support request - Arlo gave me a discount on my Arlo Smart subscription. This has now ceased and although it’s nice to access the cloud recordings - I would also like to access the local SD card without having to keep unmounting it and then reading it on my PC. Not sure how many others have the same issue but it must be many hundreds if not thousands.

Zsaraman
Tutor
Tutor

So the latest I had an open support request - strangely this has been closed and with no resolution or information why it was closed. In the very recent past (weeks) the Android app has been updated twice and the issue of accessing the Local Library (SD card) is still not resolved. Please Arlo solve the issue for me and many, many others or explain why not and please dont just close a support request without at least saying why its rude and we are all using very expensive cameras and monthly plans that I’m now starting to wonder if I didnt have then the cameras are just not worth having - removing SD cards to read isn’t what I signed up for.

chrchr
Guide
Guide

Do you still experience the same issue? I cannot access the local storage. 

Zsaraman
Tutor
Tutor

Still cant access local storage, I have attempted to place several service logs with Arlo but they ignore them and closed the last two without any correspondence. Originally they said the issue will be fixed with the next app update. Still waiting!

notafanaorultra
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am also having the same issue.  Arlo is aS#$5 company and a s#$% product.  I just but the Eufy new solar built in, no subscription cameras. .  I am selling my Alro crap.  

Discussion stats