Upgraded to 4K Cloud Storage, but downloaded video from library is still 1080p

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation
srandall25
Apprentice
Apprentice

I just upgraded to 4K cloud storage. I did a test record on a new video. Downloaded the video from the cloud library. the dimensions of the video is not 4K... it's 1080. Why? I have 4K enabled. I do not have 'Auto Zoom & Tracking' enabled as i'm fully aware that you can't do 4K recording with this enabled. So why are my downloaded recordings from the cloud not in 4K?

4 REPLIES 4
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

srandall25,

How did you test? Was this a motion triggered event or a manual recording?

For more informtion on recording in 4K, take a look here: How does my Arlo Ultra camera use 4K?

JamesC

srandall25
Apprentice
Apprentice

Manual recording. I hit the record button visible through the website interface, which ironically is not an available option via the Arlo ios app for some reason.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

srandall25,

Manual recordings cannot be made in 4K.

4K content can only be streamed when local and using the mobile app. 

To test your PVR subscription, trigger motion on your cameras and the recording in the library should indicate that it is 4K with a 4K icon on the camera thumbnail.

JamesC

srandall25
Apprentice
Apprentice

That's interesting that manual recordings cannot be made in 4K. Please see attached screenshot. When changing the plan to 'Premium Video Recording', there was no mention of the 4K recordings only being 'motion' triggered recordings. I also find it interesting that the link you sent me here: https://kb.arlo.com/000062129/How-does-my-Arlo-Ultra-camera-use-4K, providing information on this, refers to this feature as 'Motion Cloud Recording'... the terminology in the upgrade option simply says 'Premium Video Recording' with a description that does not mention anything specific to 'motion' cloud recording. This is very misleading. I highly recommend that Arlo makes this clear in the upgrade section (or plan change section) that this only effects recording that are triggered by motion and does not record 4K when triggered manually... 

On another note, why would Arlo restrict 4K recordings to motion based only? If it's due to space issues, couldn't there at least be a time limit allowed for this?

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation