Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Yercowboy
Guide
Guide

Not able to set activity zone, only upper left of field of view is shown. Tried to change camera field of view, flipped 180° and back, tried all video adjustments and still same thing. Also on this camera the audio icon is grayed out but it works flawlessly.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

The major issues being discussed in this thread have been resolved with the most recent Ultra Camera and SmartHub firmware updates. Please check here to make sure your systems automatically updated to the latest versions:

Arlo Ultra VMC5040 - 1.070.50.2_205_0c7c8e1 - 19th December 2019

Arlo SmartHub VMB5000 - 1.15.0.4_297_aa40f04 - 18th December 2019

If you're having a different issue, please open a new thread here in the community, reach out to me in a private message directly or contact support to further investigate: Arlo Support Team

A big thanks to the community for helping our engineering team troubleshoot these issues and thank you for your patience while we worked to release these updates.

JamesC

View solution in original post

45 REPLIES 45
Yercowboy
Guide
Guide

I am having the same issue, activity screen only showing upper left part of field of view. The live feed is fine only the activity window. Also on that camera the audio icon is grey but the audio is turned on and is working.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Yercowboy,

Try clicking the "Snapshot" icon within Settings > My Devices > select your Ultra camera > Video Settings. Does this reset the snapshot?

JamesC

Yercowboy
Guide
Guide

Thanks for the response James.

Yes I have done that and I did it again and all the happens is that it refreshes the image to a current one but it is still just the upper left portion of the full field of view.

n1976jmk
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi @JamesC , can you please tell us what clicking on 'snapshot' from my.arlo.com does to fix the issue?  

Thanks,

Nathan-aus
Apprentice
Apprentice

@Yercowboy Did you try restarting the base? Also, is the camera connected to power? If so, try it with the battery only. 

Yercowboy
Guide
Guide
Restarted the base and same thing, also removed battery and re installed, same thing. I removed it from the base and re installed it, it flickers between the full fob and the cropped one for a couple of seconds and now only shows the cropped upper left image. Help!
Chrisk2
Apprentice
Apprentice

Same problem.  Removing battery does not help in that least.

Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

@JamesC :
Same here, just got the camera today and that’s the only nagging problem I found so far. Video settings only shows top left corner of field of view, it even makes it hard to zoom in other areas.

Very frustrating, a brand new unit shouldn’t have this kind of problem, you’d think they’re checked and tested before. Product has been out for almost a year now.

This may just be annoying enough to return it to store.

Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

Forgot to mention, problem not limited to iOS same in android.

Chrisk2
Apprentice
Apprentice

@JamesC any word on a fix for this?  In the past  if I e-mail support it usually takes 5-6 days for a initial response and calling is half hour or longer wait to talk to someone.

Phoney49
Luminary
Luminary
Same problem on Android and web. Switched Smart Hub, restarted smart hub, pulled camera battery, no help. Just get a fraction of the camera view to make an Activity Zone on.
J-Boy20
Guide
Guide

Has anyone been able to find a fix for this?  I have contacted Support and I guess a higher level support will contact me. I have the same issues as above. My preview screen (not live) but under Video Settings will zoom to the top left, the weird thing was that once I unchecked "Local 4K Live Streaming" it would go back to normal. I was able to replicate this for hours on out yesterday and now today I tried to do the same and now it doesnt work. Arlo please fix this issue ASAP. We cannot setup a Motion Zone if the camera is Zoomed or Pan to the top left!!

My Arlo apps is updated, my iphone x is updated to the latest firmware, my camera and the basestation is updated. My internet speed with a ping of less than 10ms, 200+ mbps download and 10 mbps upload, I have my ports open that Arlo uses. what more can I do to troubleshoot this? The only thing I can think of is the latest firmware that was release on 12/2/2019 for the basestation is causing this issue with motion and the zoom issues. All summer I have not had any issues.

Yercowboy
Guide
Guide

J-Boy20,

How many cameras do you have that do this? I have tried everything and no luck, the closet thing I found was when I removed it from the hub then reinstalled it. When it first came up it had the full FOV image them it flickered in between the limited upper left image and full view like in 3 seconds it toggled in between them and then stayed on the upper left zoomed image. So from what you said it all worked before then since the update you have seen this. I was wondering why I did not see anything like I was seeing in the forums. I was thinking it may have been a hardware problem since only one of my cameras is effected. Are all your cameras showing this anomaly?

Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

Stop tinkering with the cameras, the problem is in the cloud controls. That’s what it’s all about, Arlo Smart is programming and basically running the camera controls. Something like this originated from there, often something gets screwed up and most cameras get affected. Better get used to it, just part of the cloud subscription services downsides.

Most upsetting is the amount of time it takes to resolve the self inflicted issues.

J-Boy20
Guide
Guide

Yercowboy,

All 4 of my camera has this issue. I guess I will wait till Support contact me but in the mean time you cant really do anything else until more people contact Arlo and explain there issue to them. I initially thought I had hardware problems too but when you have all 4 camera doing the same thing i concluded that it may have been a firmware issue. If you google and/ or read some of the community issues on previous Arlo Cameras they have the same issue and it seem they fixed it with an update or revert back to an older firmware. I tried looking up how to downgrade but it seems Arlo has that on locked. I also looked up how to stop the auto update but thats part of the term and condition so no way around that either. I will continue to mess with it but at some point I will just leave it alone for the time being. sucks to spend so much money for something that doesnt work.

Samulo
Initiate
Initiate

I installed my 3 cameras today. First time user and i'm having the same problem with all of them.

Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

It’s probably affecting only some users, likely connected to same server.

Chrisk2
Apprentice
Apprentice

It is only happening to one of my 4 cameras.  They are all wired to power and have good signal strength. 

Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

@JamesC :

Any update on this? Is Arlo/engineering aware of it and working on a fix?

Thank you.

Steve_M45
Tutor
Tutor
Not a fix but when I go to the bases storage settings and uncheck best local recording, it allows me to see the entire field of view in activity zones.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

The development team is investigating reports of this issue. We will provide an update as soon as we have more information.

JamesC

Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

@Steve_M45 :

Thanks, tried that and it worked ok. Hopefully they’ll come up with a fix soon, but this will do for now.

Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

Thanks James.

Yercowboy
Guide
Guide

Tried that and no luck for me. Hope they come up with a fix sometime soon. I only have one camera effected though, that is why I thought it may have been a hardware issue (but others had the system working fine until the recent update). Just bought the system and really needed it for the holidays.