Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Ultra live view and library videos no longer working

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
hoodlie
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have 5 ultra cameras. 1 or 2 have a mind of their own. Recently (after the firmware fiasco), they will stop recording when motion is triggered and I cannot access the live view. They will come back online themselves randomly and then go out again. I can still see on the app that they are connected (I can change settings, battery life, even see that they detect motion), but when I try to live view, the app spins and stops.  When I trigger the cameras, the spotlight comes on as if it was recording, but there is nothing in the video library.  Any thoughts? They are installed high up, so I do not want to climb up there on a bad foot. I have contacted tech support and they claim it is my slow internet (I was running 190mbp download/17mbp upload). Tech support suggests I up my bandwidth (I pay for 1GB already).  I did have the firmware issue where they bricked the cameras and I had to remove and reinstall on my system. I have rebooted the base station and they will fix it, but it will go out again in a few days. 

2 REPLIES 2
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

Have you set up local storage (microsd card in the case of the VMB5000)?

If you have, you should be able to check for local recordings that are not in the cloud.

@hoodlie wrote:

(I was running 190mbp download/17mbp upload). 

Upload speed is what matters.  Arlo says you need 3 megabits to stream an Ultra, so if all trigger together you would use about 15 mbps of upload bandwidth.  That is quite close to the 17 mbps you measured, so it could explain some misbehavior.

You've since upgraded to 1 gpbs???  What is your new upload bandwidth?

hoodlie
Aspirant
Aspirant

We have xfinity, so upload speed varies depending on the neighborhood usage. I don’t trigger all the cameras and it’s usually just the 1 camera that acts up. I reboot the base station and it restores. I’ll try local storage next. 

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation