Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
K9trainer
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have a question about the placement of the Ultra base station and how it works.

My understanding is the base station gets its signals from the cameras through the placement of the router. If that’s the case it would not matter where you put the base station as long as it’s connected to you router and the router is getting a strong signal.

But what I’m reading it sounds like I may not have a correct understanding of how the base station receives its signal. Please correct me if I’m wrong.

in other words if I hook my base station via Cat5e to my router and place my base station right next to  my cameras, I would not get any better signal from my cameras than if I had the base station connected to my router sitting right next to my router away from the cameras as long as the router is getting a strong signal from my cameras. 
Is this correct?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The base/hub provides the WiFi signal and has nothing to do with your router other than the need to connect the hub via an Ethernet cable for Internet access. The closer the hub is to the cameras, generally the stronger the signal. Locating an appropriate location depends on many things such as distance, house construction, metallic obscturctions in the wall, etc. Start with the hub next to the router and move as needed.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The base/hub provides the WiFi signal and has nothing to do with your router other than the need to connect the hub via an Ethernet cable for Internet access. The closer the hub is to the cameras, generally the stronger the signal. Locating an appropriate location depends on many things such as distance, house construction, metallic obscturctions in the wall, etc. Start with the hub next to the router and move as needed.

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation