Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 12 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
ScissorHands
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the Arlo Ultra+ Series, I bought the package just over 1-year ago.

It has stopped keeping any recordings in the library.

Has Arlo stopped providing this feature without a subscription?

In the "Mode" settings the Motion Detection is set to ON and the rule of what to do when motion is detected it is set to "Do Nothing", the "Record Video" mode is grayed out and I cannot change it.

I cannot find any definitive answer online.  WHen I bought it the sales clerk advised me that cloud storage went from 30 days to 7 days (If I remember correctly) after the first year once the system was registered.

Please help me, I have spent a lot of time trying to solve the issue and it is little more that a doorbell at this point.

Thank you ScissorHands.

12 REPLIES 12
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It's always been true that you need a subscription for cloud recordings after the trial runs out. However, you can use a microSD card in the hub for local recordings and use the app to view those without a sub.

ScissorHands
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you Jguerdat,

So my recordings were being stored on/in the Arlo base (since I did not have a subscription).

Does this mean that my Arlo base must have a microSD card ? (I do not see anywhere on the base where it could be accessible)  When I go onto my Arlo web portal through my computer, go to "Edit Mode", go to "Rules" for any of the camera's, go to "Edit Rules", "Motion is Detected" is checked.  Go to the next rule (Then do the following) the "Do Nothing" box is checked and the "Record Video" is grayed out.  I am unable to check this box to enable recordings.

From the Arlo App on my phone I can see "live" what the camera's are directed to when I tap the arrow.

If I walk past them so they sense motion they do not record any video, they do however display a still of myself walking by.

But again, no recordings in the library.

Can you please continue to help me try to fix the issues?  If you cannot tell I have become highly frustrated with this product.  I don't know what changed as they worked fine for almost exactly 1 year.

LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

As mentioned, after the trial period you must have a plan to continue cloud service.  If not you can store on a SD card that goes in the bottom.  You can view them from the phone of the account holder only or by removing the card and viewing on a computer.  To view away from home I believe you will need to use VPN or port fwd.  Be sure to use the eject SD card feature before removing.

ScissorHands
Aspirant
Aspirant

Does the Ultra Plus Series come with a MicroSD card included when purchased from the retail outlet (is it included by default, included in the base from the factory) or must it be purchased separately? 

LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

haven't heard of a Ultra plus, I have the ultras with the 5000 hub and there is the Ultra 2 from Costco.  Mine the SD card slot is in the bottom but you do have to purchase you own.  I use a SAN DISK 256GB high endurance in mine.  I think the Ultra 2 might use a USB but would have to check on that.

LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

I checked the specs and it shows the Ultra 2 also uses SD

ScissorHands
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you, I have ordered a MicroSD card, fingers crossed.

The box that the system came in does say Ultra+ Series.

LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

sounds good, just pop it in the hub and power up, let the hub format it then enable it in the app, when you enable it all your choices will come up.  The one thing I don't understand is that I have to use the portal on my pc to select safely eject SD card, can't find that option in the app.

dcfox1
Master
Master

@LandJS wrote:

sounds good, just pop it in the hub and power up, let the hub format it then enable it in the app, when you enable it all your choices will come up.  The one thing I don't understand is that I have to use the portal on my pc to select safely eject SD card, can't find that option in the app.

I have the 4540 with USB and in the app it is at the storage status. Click ready and the option is there.

Not sure if it is the same on the 5000 with SD card but would think it would be. Have IOS.

LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

I have the 5000 and just checked again, it is not in the app and never has been.  Can't say about USB which which wouldn't be mounted the same as SD which I believe he said he was getting.  On a pc even a USB is suppose to go through the eject option but it sure hasn't been mandatory for a long time.  Though I suppose this could cause an issue I have never had one.  Really never had a reason yet to see how Arlo uses USB.

LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

Well now I can take that back.  I went back and found it under storage status where as on the portal it's just a big green safely eject SD right there with out looking for it.

dcfox1
Master
Master

@LandJS wrote:

Well now I can take that back.  I went back and found it under storage status where as on the portal it's just a big green safely eject SD right there with out looking for it.

Yea that's were I said I found it. It is kind of hidden. 

Discussion stats
  • 12 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation