Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Ultra Motion Sensitivity settings. Constantly getting alerted by bush moving from wind.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
Andrewjl
Guide
Guide

I would very much appreciate some experience with Motion settings:

I have two Ultra Cameras outlooking onto the yard, but one in particular looks out over a near-by bush that constantly moves in the wind.

I have the settings on the camera as:-

1) Smart settings only to "People" All others off

2) Activity zones: I have created 2 zones that surround but do not cover the bush

3) Under "Modes" I have edited the activity, but am Loathed to turn Motion off here - effectively no recording - as am concerned this would basicaly turn the camera off for any smart notifications and activity. Is this true?

4) I have reduced the motion sensitivity to below 50% with little effect - Would this not effect the detection of People also?

Would appreciate some advice as to how best to proceeed - The notifications can reach the low 20's in a morning -

cheers  Andrew

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Andrewjl wrote:

3) Under "Modes" I have edited the activity, but am Loathed to turn Motion off here - effectively no recording - as am concerned this would basicaly turn the camera off for any smart notifications and activity. Is this true?

Yes, turning off motion there will disable all motion detection, notifications, and recordings.  Basically the same as disarming the camera.

@Andrewjl wrote:

4) I have reduced the motion sensitivity to below 50% with little effect - Would this not effect the detection of People also?

Yes, it will.  You can use the motion detection test to make sure you don't reduce it too much.  https://kb.arlo.com/41/How-do-I-change-the-motion-sensitivity-on-my-Arlo-camera

Is it practical to re-aim the camera?  It is more sensitive to motion at the bottom of the field of view than the top, so aiming it to position the bush in the upper half of the image would help.  One trick here - if you turn the camera upside down (and use the invert video setting), the camera will be more sensitive in the upper half, and less sensitive at the bottom.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Andrewjl wrote:

Yes, turning off motion there will disable all motion detection, notifications, and recordings.  Basically the same as disarming the camera.

@Andrewjl wrote:

Yes, it will.  You can use the motion detection test to make sure you don't reduce it too much.  https://kb.arlo.com/41/How-do-I-change-the-motion-sensitivity-on-my-Arlo-camera

Is it practical to re-aim the camera?  It is more sensitive to motion at the bottom of the field of view than the top, so aiming it to position the bush in the upper half of the image would help.  One trick here - if you turn the camera upside down (and use the invert video setting), the camera will be more sensitive in the upper half, and less sensitive at the bottom.

Andrewjl
Guide
Guide

Thank you Stephen.   I'd never thought of turning the camer around.  Though I am concerned anout exposing the power connector (this one is connected to a solar panel) to the elements more

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You could try covering the connection with weatherproof tape.

Andrewjl
Guide
Guide
I've put the wesserstein skin on just to cover the power connector. We'll see how it goes.
Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation