Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 16 Replies
  • 9 Likes
  • 9 In Conversation
SageCanyon
Tutor
Tutor
When I turn on Local 4K Live Streaming, the Manual Record and Snapshot button disappears from the live streaming even though on page 17 in the User Manual says it will work. Why is that?
16 REPLIES 16
bigjoe495
Guide
Guide

I'm having the exact same problem. I have to quit the app then relaunch it.  It works one time then if I want to record again manually,  I have to quit the app and repeat the process. I think it's a bug in the software.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@bigjoe495 wrote:

I'm having the exact same problem. I have to quit the app then relaunch it.  It works one time then if I want to record again manually,  I have to quit the app and repeat the process. I think it's a bug in the software.

Just wondering - do you also see this problem using https://my.arlo.com ?

bigjoe495
Guide
Guide

No issues with Arlo.com only with my iPhone running iOS 13.3

robot-monster
Star
Star

That's interesting. We have never been able to use the record button or photo capture button when streaming in 4k on the Android app. We just assumed it was unavailable. Have not tried the desktop version.

Crosive
Apprentice
Apprentice
If you are watching via the android app, it automatically sets it to record as along as you are watching. Of you watch from PC, you have the buttons to do either
bigjoe495
Guide
Guide
I’m watching from my iPhone. I can manually record it once if I stop the recording and tried to do it again the buttons disappear I have to quit the app and reopen the app
SageCanyon
Tutor
Tutor
I called for technical help and was told the manual is wrong. It will not record manually if Live 4K Steaming is checked. I find it interesting some and do it once and after that the buttons disappeared. Now I realize this happening to me also. I could not figure out why the buttons were initially there and next thing I know is they are gone.
Crosive
Apprentice
Apprentice

I stand corrected.  It will not record (at least anymore) in 4k preview mode.  this is sad, there were times I thought I was recording just by watching.  I'm glad you clarified this for us so that now I'll know.

Arloultra
Luminary
Luminary

You cannot Live stream record in 4K thru a browser! I just wish the audio cutting in & out when streaming in 4K on the ios app would be resolved!!

SageCanyon
Tutor
Tutor
If you can not view through a browser, what can you view it from?
Arloultra
Luminary
Luminary

You can view in a browser but only in 1080, not 4K. You can view in 4K with the app but ios has major audio issues and no way to record the live stream! 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

This is an error in the user manual. When live streaming in 4K, manual recordings and snapshots are not available.

JamesC

Arloultra
Luminary
Luminary
Walking back what the manual stated is not my concern but “WHEN” will the features work since there’s no issue in 1080 mode ?
Jamesk811
Tutor
Tutor
So basically I paid extra for the Ultra over the arlo pro 3 So I can have 4K streams but I can’t manually record or take photos?

So if I’m watching a 4K stream and I see something suspicious but it’s slightly out of the activity zone I have to go into settings, turn off 4K, restart app and then turn on stream again and hope that the suspicious person is still there to grab a video or photo of him?
Seriously? This is basic stuff. Come on arlo. Why did I pay so much money when simple basic functions of a security system can’t be met?
Arloultra
Luminary
Luminary
I’m hoping it’s still a work in progress! You can only hold your breath so long.
RT5
Guide
Guide

Though the manual is wrong, there IS a workaround and I use it all the time. You use IFTTT integration. Download the IFTTT app (or via web) and sign up for an IFTTT (If this then that) account and add the Arlo skill. If you use Alexa or Google Assistant, add that service as well. Then click on the Arlo service and view the various routines that already exist. You can use one that triggers via alexa, and use the alexa app on your phone to speak the command "Trigger record "your camera name"), or create a button widget to activate within IFTTT. 

The other method is a bit more advanced, but offers easier control via alexa / Siri with a custom voice command.

Within IFTTT, in addition to the Arlo and Alexa services, add the "Webhooks" Service. Create your own trigger service (+), click on web hooks. Click on "receive a web request". Under even name, call it whatever you want "record_cameraname" - so if you have an Arlo camera named "backyard" call it "record_backyard". Create the trigger, then in the "That" section (what it actually DOES when the trigger is executed), click on the Arlo service, "Start Recording", then if linked to arlo properly, your device names will appear. Select the device and the length of the recording. Then go back to the main IFTTT screen and click on your profile in the upper right and then "My Services". Click on "Webhooks" then the "settings" icon in the upper right.  You will see a USER URL for your webhooks account.

The url is the BASE url to activate your routine with your unique key (the last part of the URL after "/use/"). To trigger the routine, you would access this way:

https://maker.ifttt.com/trigger/record_backyard/with/key/yourUniqueKeyHere

To integrate with Siri, create a shortcut and name it what you want to say to execute "Record Backyard". 

In the shortcut, click the "+" and search for URL and add URL. Insert the URL format above as the URL contents. Save the shortcut. Now, when you say "Hey Siri, record Backyard" it will trigger the URL, and the URL will trigger IFTTT to record the Arlo camera! 

You can also do the same with Alexa and create a custom voice routine to record by triggering the IFTTT event (add the IFTTT skill to Alexa).

Repeat for as many cameras as you have, being sure to name the IFTTT webhook differently for each.

Discussion stats
  • 16 Replies
  • 9 Likes
  • 9 In Conversation