Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Trouble with camera recording to library in app

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Jmakvet
Aspirant
Aspirant

Have 2 older cameras that have been working flawlessly for few years. Both always send notifications andrecord motion into the library on my app perfectly. Got a third camera a few mnths ago and it also integrated flawlessly into my system both notifications and recording to library. Had to turn it off for a few weeks while xmas decorations were up bc kept triggering motion detector and now turned it back on and am getting motion notifications but nothing recorded to my App Library from this camera. Other two older ones are working fine. I have no current subscription to any Arlo plans, but never have had any plans. I did recently update the app however. But unfortunately turned the new camera back on after this so cant say definitely this had anything to with the issues. Not sure if this helps but noticed when I go into device on app and choose Video settings no Activity zone shows up…which it does in both my older perfectly working cameras??

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Jmakvet wrote:

Yes mine is an Essential VMC 2030 (just found the box it came in).  Im guessing this doesn't open to remove battery?  

Correct, this camera is fully sealed, and the battery is not user replaceable.

@Jmakvet wrote:

You obviously meant the rotating 7d worth of library recordings to my app, like it's currently been doing, will cease being free soon Im guessing?

Yes.

The old cameras (original Arlo WireFree, Pro, Pro 2) had free 7-day cloud recording.  Arlo stopped offering that on new models in 2018 (starting with the Ultra).  They recently announced that they are discontinuing the free recording later this year (and are moving these older models to end-of-life status).  Details are here:

If you get a subscription, then recordings will continue (at least for now), with longer retention than you've had in the past.  But the EOL status means that there is no guarantee from Arlo that will always be the case.  At some point in the future you might need to replace the old cameras.

Details on subscriptions and pricing are here:

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

Have you tried removing and then reinserting the camera battery?

Jmakvet
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thx for the reply.  I haven't tried this yet.  How does one get this battery out?  Also is it possible that I need some form of subscription to be recording to the library in my app?  If so, why are the other two cameras recording to my app library w/ no subscription?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Jmakvet wrote:

Also is it possible that I need some form of subscription to be recording to the library in my app?  If so, why are the other two cameras recording to my app library w/ no subscription?

You do need a subscription for the Ultra in order to get cloud storage.  Older cameras (Pro, Pro2, etc) came with 7-days of free cloud recording.  However, that is ending later this year - you should have received an EoL notice recently.

@Jmakvet wrote:

How does one get this battery out? 

With the Ultra, there is a release button on the bottom (near where the magnetic cable connects). You press it, and then pull the camera out of the front of the housing.  Sometimes it sticks - if it does, shaking it can help (just be careful to not drop the camera).  Also, pressing the release button a second time often makes it easier to get the camera completely out of the housing.

Note that some cameras (Essentials) are fully sealed - you cannot open those models.

Jmakvet
Aspirant
Aspirant

Not sure about the age of my older cameras but they have been recording to my phone/app library and it keeps 7d of videos then self deletes and starts new 7d period.  I have had the ability to record for several years and still works today.  So not sure what, if any subscription I have for these 2 older cameras?

Im also not certain of the model of the new camera having issues with bc does not have the button on bottom for battery release like you mentioned.  The serial number is: A47E2276D7D39

Older cams Serial # are: 52m1857xadcd0 and 52m18576ADCE6.  Not sure if this helps to determine if batteries are able to be removed and how I get this to record to my library as the older ones do. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Jmakvet wrote:

Not sure about the age of my older cameras but they have been recording to my phone/app library and it keeps 7d of videos then self deletes and starts new 7d period.  I have had the ability to record for several years and still works today.  So not sure what, if any subscription I have for these 2 older cameras?

As I said earlier, the older cameras came with free 7-day cloud recording.  New camera models (starting in 2018) don't.

The 7-day free cloud recording will end sometime this year - see the EOL announcement here:

@Jmakvet wrote:

Im also not certain of the model of the new camera having issues with bc does not have the button on bottom for battery release like you mentioned.  

Serial numbers might help the Arlo mods ( @JamesC and @ShayneS ) identify the camera model, but they don't help other users (like me).

If your camera is fully sealed, then it likely is an Arlo Essential.  Mine has a model number that starts with VMC on the outside of the charging port cover.  It's a bit hard to see, and you might need to clean the cover and shift it around a bit in the light to catch it.

Essential_bottom_labels.png

@Jmakvet wrote:

how I get this to record to my library as the older ones do. 

The answer there is (unfortunately) to purchase a subscription for the camera.

Jmakvet
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes mine is an Essential VMC 2030 (just found the box it came in).  Im guessing this doesn't open to remove battery?  

Ok I misunderstood the 7d library saving vids.  I thought you meant the free trial was only for 7days...Ive had them for 2 yrs and still recording to library.  You obviously meant the rotating 7d worth of library recordings to my app, like it's currently been doing, will cease being free soon Im guessing? At this point, I will need to purchase a plan for all 3 cameras in order to have 7d's worth of motion detection videos saved to my app library?  Is it cheaper to save to some type of external storage device?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Jmakvet wrote:

Correct, this camera is fully sealed, and the battery is not user replaceable.

@Jmakvet wrote:

You obviously meant the rotating 7d worth of library recordings to my app, like it's currently been doing, will cease being free soon Im guessing?

Yes.

The old cameras (original Arlo WireFree, Pro, Pro 2) had free 7-day cloud recording.  Arlo stopped offering that on new models in 2018 (starting with the Ultra).  They recently announced that they are discontinuing the free recording later this year (and are moving these older models to end-of-life status).  Details are here:

If you get a subscription, then recordings will continue (at least for now), with longer retention than you've had in the past.  But the EOL status means that there is no guarantee from Arlo that will always be the case.  At some point in the future you might need to replace the old cameras.

Details on subscriptions and pricing are here:

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation