Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Solar Panel not charging - defective pins on charging cable

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Greg-CH22
Aspirant
Aspirant

My solar panel stopped charging the attached camera. When I checked the pins on the connector I discovered that two of the pins on the connector had for some unknown reason receded into the connector and were no longer making contact. I checked the output of the solar panel with a multi-meter and it's working perfectly but the pins aren't making contact with the contacts on the camera.

Anyone else had this problem and how did you solve it?  

I've got the same problem with two panels. One is under warranty and I'll take it back to the store but the other is out of warranty. It will get expensive if I have to replace a solar panel every 18 months for such a trivial issue.

8 REPLIES 8
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Unfortunately your option is to go to Arlo for warranty as I know of no parts available.

If out of warranty, I might choose to fix myself rather than throw away... solder skill may be needed or maybe epoxy after resetting pins. Or even a direct solder to cable and seal all up with silicon.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
Greg-CH22
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks. I've actually had two panels with the same problem. Luckily today I was able to exchange the most recent defective one for a new one in store as it was within the 12 month warranty. Unfortunately the previous panel (I kept it just in case) stopped working I just bought a new one. Now that I've gone back and tested it, it works fine but has the same "pins not making contact" problem. Disappointing that Arlo sells products that have such a simple but fatal flaw. So I've had 2 out of 3 panels with the same problem.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It may not be a design defect. It's always possible that it's user error, however much we might want to not believe that. We can't say for sure either way since we're not there.

The newer cameras use a magnetic connection so upgrading may be useful but expensive.

Greg-CH22
Aspirant
Aspirant

I wish it was 'user error' that would be easy to fix but comparing a new panel/connector with the 'defective' connector/panel it is clear that on the old panel 2 of the 3 pins have receded into the connector housing and no longer make contact with the corresponding contacts on the camera. With the strong magnet connecting the panel lead to the camera, I don't think 'user error' is possible? It only connects one way, you can't connect it the 'wrong way' or damage the pins by simply connecting the panel to the camera?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Greg-CH22 wrote:

I wish it was 'user error' that would be easy to fix but comparing a new panel/connector with the 'defective' connector/panel it is clear that on the old panel 2 of the 3 pins have receded into the connector housing 

FWIW, this sounds more like a defect to me too.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It's absolutely possible to be a defect but in multiple cases? Always possible but...

BTW, you're posting in the Pro camera section but then mention a strong magnet which the Pro and Pro 2 don't use. There's also no pins for the magnetic connector on the newer panels/cameras. Would you verify the camera and panel models for me? Maybe I'm confused.

Greg-CH22
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi,

Sorry if I've posted in the wrong section but it is really a solar panel "connector" issue and I couldn't immediately see a 'solar panel' section, the camera is working fine.

Camera: Arlo Ultra 2 Spotlight Camera (4k video with HDR, ultra wide field of view, premium 2-way audio, colour night vision, integrated spotlight, night vision, weather resistant) and includes a "magnetic charging cable".

The solar panel is model VMA5600. It has the same "magnetic charging cable" but it is connected to the solar panel, as opposed to the camera supplied magnetic charging cable which has a USB connector.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Ok, part of the problem with my posts was due to your posting the question in the Arlo Pro (old camera) section rather than in the Ultra camera section. My answers were relative to the Pro and its solar panel, not the Ultra with the newer panel.

Given that you have connectors on the panel cable that have been pushed in, the only solution is to buy a new panel. I suppose you can try using a thin jewelers screwdriver to see if you can pop them back out but be aware that may damage any weather sealing. The real question left is how did they get pushed in? I haven't looked at the connector that closely at any time but all I can think of is someone handling the connector and pushing on them (cleaning?) which caused this. I've cleaned various ones of mine several times with no problem but have no real idea what force I used. I wasn't scrubbing them but just wiping. ANy thoughts as to how you may have applied sufficient force to cause this?

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation