Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Slow/none charging issue possible clue

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
alexi_p
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello guys,

I'm running 2 ultra cameras and doorbell at my home. Basically one camera is already out of battery so I decided to charge. Too lazy to unmount so put a ladder and used either original indoor cable (got two - one from 1cam kit second one from additional cam) plus usb extender cable and also tried to use LANMU 26ft outdoor slim cable for Arlo Ultra (guess what, outdoor charging cable is still not available in Europe).

So, I've noticed that with all 3 options of cables, and also 4 power bricks (2 original indoor ones - 5V/2A and also one apple 10W charger and high quality 5V/3A one) - charging is happening in a way that I see flashing icon in web UI of my.arlo.com or in the android app.. Which leaves me with idea that "contact with charger" is not okay...

We got three *known* places for contact to get loose - battery and camera; camera and outer shell; outer shell and magentic plug...  It is definately not battery since camera was draining it properly.. unless draining and charging goes over different contacts... hmm...

So, something is really wrong here or maybe the current is also wrong for such a long distance-  remember camera label says either 5V/2A or 9V/1A - and official outdoor charger is 9V/1A

Anyway I left for a week while leaving camera plugged.. I suppose those "flashing" charging will just kill my battery - just because amount of charging cycles is limited... I suppose Arlo should at least do a protection for that in the firmware - meaning if this "unstable charging" mode is detected - unstable charging currents due to contacts.. Camera should notify user about this and stop charging all together to no destroy battery... 

Just hope it will not catch fire while I'm out...

from this...

arlo_ultra2.JPG

to this...

arlo_ultra1.JPG...every couple of seconds...

4 REPLIES 4
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

alexi_p,

We don't recommend using any third party chargers, power bricks or extensions. If you use just the original charging cable and power block that comes with your Arlo Ultra camera, do you experience the same behavior?

JamesC

alexi_p
Aspirant
Aspirant

JamesC, yes I tried taking an AC power extender close to camera and use the original cable and charger... I bet if I put the battery to another camera it will work...

alexi_p
Aspirant
Aspirant

@JamesC  - the only way I managed to charge battery for that cam - by buying external charging station.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@alexi_p wrote:

@JamesC  - the only way I managed to charge battery for that cam - by buying external charging station.

Sounds like a camera issue then.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation