Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Slow down video captures

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
rdilauro
Luminary
Luminary
Here is another question for the community. We recently had serious damage done to our marina ramp access. I just put up an Ultra to monitor that area. Its a heavy used road so cars are always going by. I put the camera up to today at 100% battery and added a solar charger. Three hours later the battery is down to 82%. Granted this is at night so the solar is not helping. In the past I have adjusted activity zones, turned the camera upside down, all based on sound recommendations from the community. But I’d like to know how I can slow down recordings and save battery life. On some of my other cameras I use schedules to help. But at this location scheduling would not help. UNLESS I could schedule armed disarmed every five minutes. I just think there has to be a way to save battery lifr
5 REPLIES 5
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@rdilauro wrote:
But I’d like to know how I can slow down recordings and save battery life. 

The only other strategy I can think of is to reduce the motion sensitivity.

Getting an XL battery upgrade would of course increase the time between charges.

rdilauro
Luminary
Luminary
Stephen
I have the motion sensitivity low (30%)

I have not seen the XL battery. Is it on the ARLO accessory page?
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@rdilauro wrote:

I have not seen the XL battery. Is it on the ARLO accessory page?

Yes.  https://www.arlo.com/en-us/accessories/VMA5410-10000S.html

It's physically larger, so they also provide a larger shell.  You can't use the magnetic mount (the back of the shell has no metal in it).

@rdilauro wrote:
I have the motion sensitivity low (30%)

Probably a bad idea to go lower than that.  

If you can place a second camera so that it doesn't capture the busy road, then you could potentially cross-trigger - getting the view from the current camera when the second camera detects motion.

rdilauro
Luminary
Luminary
Thanks. But can I assume
1. Still use the standard screw in connection
2. Have the magnetic top to connect the solar charger.
3. Fir in the standard Ultra charging station
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@rdilauro wrote:
1. Still use the standard screw in connection

Yes (and I do that).  Though some have reported that the extra weight causes the camera to droop, I haven't experienced that.  But there have been several Arlo mounts over the years, and it is possible those folks are using a different mount than I use.

The mount threads are standard, so if the mount doesn't work out well it is easily replaced.

@rdilauro wrote:
2. Have the magnetic top to connect the solar charger.

Not sure what you mean here, as the solar panel doesn't support the magnetic mount. 

If you mean the magnetic cable, then yes - the shell includes the same release and cable connection as the normal Ultra shell.

@rdilauro wrote:
3. Fit in the standard Ultra charging station

Yes, (though I don't recall the form factor for your third-party charging station, so I'm not 100% sure on that).  The longer battery can be charged with the Arlo charging station, it just sticks out more at the top.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation