SD recording and activity zones with subscription

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
andrewnn
Aspirant
Aspirant

I just bought this Ultra kit and started to play with it. I have the Premier subscription for the cameras. I learnt that SD recordings only available from the app and not from the GUI however if I turn on local SD recording then the cloud activity zones doesn't work??!!! Why is that?

Does it means I can't have SD recordings enabled if I want to use activity zones regardless if I have a subscription or not....Can somebody advise here?

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

andrewnn,

There isn't a restriction on using cloud activity zones and local storage, just keep in mind that all motion detected will arrive in your local storage regardless if the activity happens within the activity zones. Activity zone analysis takes place on the cloud, once the cloud has determined whether or not the motion detected was within the zone, the recording is then filtered or not filtered from your cloud library based on that analysis. This does not take place for local recordings.

JamesC

andrewnn
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi James,

Okay. The issue here is that I'm being notified for all of the motions in the app if I have local recording enabled and not only for those which were within the activity zones and as per the rules set. Can you advise how can I keep both local and cloud recoding enabled while only be notified if the motion was within the zone?

Thank you

SmittyAZ
Aspirant
Aspirant

Any update on this?  I'm curious as well. 

I want to buy a new Pro 3 \ Ultra and want to make sure this local storage option works well.  What's the downside of using this vs cloud?  I was told per support \ read as well that local storage is now viewable remotely but I'd like to figure out this zones before i pull the trigger.   

If you are going to give us local storage, allow us to record direct to our NAS unit as well!    

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@SmittyAZ wrote:

I want to buy a new Pro 3 \ Ultra and want to make sure this local storage option works well.  What's the downside of using this vs cloud? 

Downsides include

• no access to local recordings from the web client
  • no preview until you view the video in the app
  • no ability to grant access to other accounts
  • no ability to delete videos (not a problem for me, but is for some)
  • need to forward a port in your router to access remotely
  • no continuous recording option

Upsides are

• recording is free
  • retention is long (depending on how much storage you attach)

@SmittyAZ wrote:

but I'd like to figure out this zones before i pull the trigger.   

You'll need to power the cameras with an AC adapter (not the solar panel) if you want activity zones w/o a subscription. That's because the activity zone processing is done in the cloud when you are on battery power.

If you combine local storage and cloud storage, then the recordings in the local storage will include all motion detection for the cameras on battery power.  Cloud storage will only include the recordings in the zone.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation