Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
enpassant
Follower
Follower

I have an existing wired 12V DC home security cam system that is obsolete.  If possible, I would like to use my existing DC power to run the Ultra cam rather then let my investment go to waste.

I was thinking of stepping down the voltage to 5V DC and connecting to the solar cable input with a buck converter like this.

Does the ultra cam have a 5V micro USB input?  Would this set up work to continuously recharge the battery?  Is this even worth the trouble?

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Anything is possible if you throw enough money into it...

That said, no... the Ultra does not have a USB input but now uses the new outside magnetic contact cable to charge.

This keeps out any chance of water intrusion.

Also the external power cable should be comming in a month or so... I would wait for that

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
DamianR
Apprentice
Apprentice
If you have 12V, Ibwould suggest a 12V to USB converter. Plenty of weatherproof ones for motorcycles etc out there.
Then plug the Arlo ultra USB charge cable into that.
BUT. This is only practical if the camera is in a location where the charge connector wont be subject to rain etc.
Otherwise, as Tommac said, get the outdoor charger.
Please note, the outdoor charger IS NOT 5V and the 12V to USB conversion wont help. The lead is also hardwired into the plugpack for weatherproofing, so its not easily converted to your 12V setup unfortunately.
It IS however a faster charger than the 5V setup.
Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation