Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Pay for 4K Recording???

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
SteveLamb
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am heavily invested in an Arlo Pro 720p system that includes 5 cameras, 3 active security lights, and 3 new security lights that I've not yet installed.

I had an opportunity to purchase a new Arlo Ultra 1 camera system with the intent of transitioning to 4k.  As of now, I've not even opened the new system as I'm having second thoughts based on the Ultra complaints I'm reading about.

Complaints I've read:

• By default, out of the box settings are only 1080p.
  • Changing the setting to 4k results in you losing the cloud recording as part of the free 1 year service.
  • You can add 4k Cloud Recording back to the service for a per month per camera fee.
  • 4k local recordings are available using an SD card but the recordings are not accessible on the local network.
  • The SD Card must be removed each time to review those recordings.

I realize that I'm going from 720p to 4k, but at the least, I would have thought that Arlo would have provided 4k cloud recording as part of the free 1 year smart service.

I'm looking at the box and now see the "**Higher resolution clip storage requires add-on subscription." disclaimer.  Extremely small and most buyers would not even see it.

I'm not clear on how the 4k recording to the local SD card is even useful.  It appears that you can't access those recordings unless you manually remove the SD card from the base and view those on the PC.  That appears very cumbersome and not even something anyone would ever even use.

To avoid being forced into a service agreement, I think my best option would be just to purchase some replacement Arlo Pro 2 cameras and put onto my existing system.

Again, the complaints are not mine, just something I read on the Internet.  My statements are my opinion just based on what I currently know.  

Hopefully, someone can convince me that I'm wrong and should definitely proceed on with the 4k system. 

3 REPLIES 3
Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
I wouldn't buy anything from them until they fix it again.
LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

keep in mind that access to the SD card is "supposed to be" available by the end of the year without removing it.  Arlo will be looking at legal issues if it's not.  One thing I can tell you is that the 4K recordings to the card are far superior to what you see in the cloud, unless your paying extra for 4K in the cloud, that I can't say because I won't pay.  I will keep the basic cloud after the free year is up as a back up to the card in case the thief gets the card.  Another thing if using a SD card is you must specify the better recording, mine didn't by default.

SteveLamb
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks LandJS!

So it sounds like Arlo has received quite a bit of backlash on this ridiculous, cumbersome, and useless SD card access on the 4k system.

Does anyone know what the "fix" entails? 

Will I only be able to view those recordings with a PC on the local network  or will those local SD Card recordings be viewable via the Arlo app as they are now?

If you can't view them remotely with the app as I can now, I'm still not convinced that upgrading to the 4k system has any benefits.

I actually just initiated a return on this system.  If and when they fix these issues, I will consider purchasing another system.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation