Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Not happy :/

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 1 Like
  • 1 In Conversation
Toff_AU
Initiate
Initiate
Got his over the week-end, following a tentative break-in (they weren’t able to get in, but the backdoor was destroyed in the process).

Against my better judgement, I went with Arlo based on reviews, instead of the Ubiquiti cameras that are already supported in my network.

Even thought I can see now how better of a product it would have been for image quality, and freedoms of use (no paid subscription to get basic AI and smarts).

What can I say? The pack doesn’t mention any of the crazy limitations of this product, which is unlawful where I live.

An AU$1,700 mistake (with solar panels and additional mounts).

- MUST be connected to Ethernet, no option to join in the local (very good) Wifi.
This is nuts. I have a better wifi and network (Ubiquiti UniFi) than Netgear will ever provide - professional level (I run a business from home).
I had to purchase a switch to connect a physical device for the first time in several years, that is also competing with my wifi and the neighbours for radio channels.
It was already hard to optimise for my original setup, but now it is a spaghetti fest.

the packaging didn’t disclose that limitation. That should be in large yellow letters “warning, requires an Ethernet connection to operate”.

- Must have flash on desktop?!?! I haven’t used flash in 7 years, even though I used to develop in the macromedia ecosystem when I started my career 20 years ago - this is ridiculous. I couldn’t install it even if I wanted to, as Mac OS or my Linux box would throw a fit.

I have transitioned all my flash dev to HTML5 and JS since 2012 ...
Reading some of you having to run IE in 2020 so you can use a modern device makes me wonder how Arlo understands “security”?!
the packaging didn’t disclose that limitation. They should have a big large red sticker “CAUTION, requires deprecated technology to run. Use at your own peril”.

- 1 of my cameras cannot connect at all anymore. It is outside in the back yard, on the other side of the bay window, so 25m from router in the weatherboard (wood) house.

Other camera 20m in the opposite direction. We have long houses in Australia.

So, how am I supposed to do with a single (weak) hub to cater for this?
How about (as I assumed wrongly) letting me join in my existing infrastructure? My wifi is broadcasted all the way to the pool at the back of the garden and to the top of our street.

Arlo doesn’t come near this but somehow assumes that their hub will suffice.
Did they even test it in the field?!

Not sure what I am supposed to do. My fiber access is in a specific room (central) so I am not able to move the modem, and the hub is already in the Center of all cameras.

There are no repeaters, I cannot install another hub (at that price I wouldn’t anyway).

All I was trying to do is monitor both sides of the house.

the packaging didn’t disclose that limitation. They should have a big blue leaflet stuck to it “results depend on the size of your home. Not suitable for the most common Aussie home, not fair dinkum mate”

- 2 cameras pack =1 magnetic mount + 1 standard one (that my 5 year old can unscrew blindfolded).

So, first, I don’t get the magnet innovation. Are we supposed to rotate the cams freely? And for the screw one, it doesn’t secure either. ... I guess I am just glad to know Arlo R&D peeps all live in places where low-lifes don’t steal stuff from your front yard.
As for me, the idea of leaving a $500 camera outside unsecured and up for grabs is mind-blowing.

Of course, I had to buy additional mounts to secure the things that I put up there because someone tried to steal stuff from my property ...

the packaging didn’t disclose that limitation. They should have a pink sticker on it stating “Beware - mount system does not secure the device. Cameras are not physically secured to walls, and can/will be taken off your property”.

Not happy.

Now waiting for the mandatory Community manager or top ranked forum buddy to come and and distribute condescending advice and go around the bush without addressing the real facts.

Sorry mate, I don’t want empty excuses or to be told something is wrong with my house. I want you to fix your system or refund the poor sods who spent top dollars to get what they thought was a top notch system for their family protection.

I should have just bought the Ubiquiti cams.

I just realised this: The anagram of “cams” is “scam”, coincidence?
1 REPLY 1
Toff_AU
Initiate
Initiate

This is the page I should have read before wasting $1,700.

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 1 Like
  • 1 In Conversation