Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation
Uribees
Star
Star
My Ultra night vision is still black and white. Even when it's not too dark once the might vision turns on it's black and white. Ihave attached an image. Is this normal?
6 REPLIES 6
AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

@Uribees wrote:
My Ultra night vision is still black and white. Even when it's not too dark once the might vision turns on it's black and white. Ihave attached an image. Is this normal?

True night vision will be in black and white, since it is using IR lightwaves for recording.  Arlo, unfortunately decided to call their color night recording using the spotlight, “color night vision”, which it isn’t.  It is a marketing term for turning on the spotlight and recording in color using visible light.  Whatever triggered the motion will be well aware that they triggered a motion light of some sort.  Of course, this can be good as a deterrent, but IMHO it is bad to misinform people and devalue language.  It is not color night vision.  It is color recording via spotlight at night.

zincyellowcobra
Luminary
Luminary

@Uribees 

You are livestreaming that is why the spotlight is not on. The spotlight will work with a true motion trigger. The camera setting to activate the spotlight in low light must only apply to motion triggers and not a manual start-up to livestream. That is my assumption - not sure if that was Arlo’s intent.  You can manually turn on the spotlight during livestream by tapping flashlight on right hand side.  

LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

It can be a trial trying to figure it out.  At night in live view the cameras are black and white unless clicking on the flashlight but that is where it gets interesting.  My side cameras become color (front and back)  on the end of the house that is just grass and field it becomes a washed out color, on the driveway (paved end) of the house the picture becomes almost un viewable except a small spot the spotlight hits and is much better as a black and white.  Where there are lights with motion detectors that come on the color on the cameras is as good as daytime.

WILL-P
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello, I recieved and set up  my 3 Arlo Ultra cameras  plus 1 seperate camera ... Only one of the cameras is displaying the color night vision. The other 3 are black and white. I cannot figure out if it  is something that I need to do with the settings or if something else i.e. firmware. I notice that the release date for Ultra was pushed out yet I recieved my system end of January. Will this be corrected with a firmware update. Any suggestion on troubleshooting or insights would be appreciated. I am hoping to  resolve this before returning the system. Right now I am not feeling good about the premium price I paid for Ultra. 

Thoughts? Thanks

brh
Master
Master

@WILL-P 

From the Devices page, click on the gear icon. That should take you to the settings page for that camera. Be sure the camera is turned on and scroll down to the Video Settings. Click on the pencil or Arrow if you are using the web client and go to Low Light Settings. Click on the pencil or Arrow and make sure the Spotlight slider switch is turned on. Then adjust any other items you desire here. If asked to save the settings save them. (the app and web client are slightly different here - you might to have to select the Back button before you can save the settings.

Brian

JeffM9
Initiate
Initiate

I was kind of afraid I’d find this answer here. When I first heard ‘color night vision’, I thought, ‘how?’. I set it up, and felt like I deflated a little when I saw the results of the ‘night vision’, without the Spotlight. On top of this, it only seems to detect on one side, nothing on the other... I’ll have to check, but I’m thinking it’s only about 25 feet.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation