Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

New install Arlo Ultra system installed

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
JRKing
Tutor
Tutor
Hello!
I have recently purchased and installed the Arlo Ultra system with 2-Ultra cameras. In addition I have purchased 2-Pro3 wireless cameras and a Pro3 floodlight camera since 4k quality is not needed in some locations. They have all been installed using the Positioning utility within the Arlo app. They all indicate full signal anytime I check the device status and I never see fluctuations on the signal meters. However when checking some of the 4k playback (local sd storage or cloud) and the majority of my 4k live view experiences the video is blurred without being zoomed in. Even after disabling 4k live view I still get a blurry recording and live stream a majority of the time. My Ring devices stream 1080p and never seem to degrade in video quality once connected.

The Pro3 2k cameras do not appear to have this issue. However on the Pro 3 cameras I cannot initialize a "manual" recording when "live viewing" a 2k camera even though I have the 2k recording package.

My network consists of a commercial grade Pakedge router capable of gigabit throughput. I pay for Cox gigabit internet with 35Mbps upload. I have an Eero pro wifi mesh with 3 hardlined access points. In my 1200sq ft home I get an average of 350Mbps down and 30-35 Mbps Up running multiple speed tests from multiple sources.

My Ring devices do not seem to struggle with connecting or stream quality and have superior motion detection and motion zoning abilities over the Arlo system. My arlo cameras only pick up about 20% of what my Ring cameras did mounted in similar locations.

I work in the Home Automation industry and have to troubleshoot/solve WiFi interference issues weekly. The Arlo base station is locked down not allowing me to change wireless channels or even view what channel the Arlo cameras use. Since your base station creates it's own wireless network and you don't give access to any configuration settings we have to turn to you to solve this problem remotely.

I am happy to include any additional information needed to ensure a long term solution.

The system could be great if the 4k quality issues and lack of motion detection issues would be addressed.

I know not all systems can be equal but I'll list a couple of features I love with my Ring cams that would be a great addition to Arlo if possible.

1. Fine tune motion zoning which I believe pixel-based motion detection would greatly improve that.
2. Initializing "live view" simultaneously initializes a manual recording. Personally anytime I "live view" I'm checking on something and would want it documented if I "live view" criminal activity. Without the recording it would be my word against the offenders.
3. When motion is detected record 5 -10 seconds before motion sensed. I'm seeing people walk away from my door because the motion detection does not start recording the person/animal/vehicle until they have passed the camera if at all.

Thank you for reading.
4 REPLIES 4
demannu
Apprentice
Apprentice

hate to be the bearer of bad news but your well constructed post will fall on deaf ears at Arlo, if at all possible return them while you can, they have been plagued with issues from day one and don't get any better.. worse in some cases... buying arlo ultra is the single most regrettable purchase i've ever made and you'll find endless posts of people that feel just the same way. 

JRKing
Tutor
Tutor

Demannu,

Thank you for responding. I have been reading about the similar issues discussed in previous posts. I was just hopeful that Arlo might address the issues before I return my $1000+ worth of equipment, but you are right they seem to not want to accept the fact that their hardware/software is at fault. With some updated software and more flexibility for the user they could make this a great product. Looks like Ring will gain some more sales from my network of clients.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

HI @JRKing

Have you contacted Arlo Customer Support in regards to this issue? You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link. Arlo Tech Support

Regarding your statement "My arlo cameras only pick up about 20% of what my Ring cameras did mounted in similar locations." 

I have provided an article with further information on the best positioning/angle for the Arlo cameras. You can also try adjusting the sensitivity to see if this helps in the current position, considering it falls within the motion detection range & angle. How do I position my Arlo wire-free camera?

LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

Just to address a couple things you mentioned.  After owning and monitoring this site for 18 months now.  Signal strength has always been an issue from day 1 with these units.  You can see what channels Arlo is using with a wi fi analyzer app, the only way to set a channel is to do it in the router by locking it to a set channel as opposed to auto.  The delay in notifications has gotten worse with time not better.  I can now have a UPS truck pull up, walk a pkg to my door and be back to the truck before I get the notification or I can drive past my driveway cam 600 feet to the county road before getting one.  This could just be more traffic to their cloud service with time and they aren't keeping up.  Also with time they have taken more and more capabilities from people who won't choose the elite plan,  Certainly not in the advertising at purchase.  Those I know with ring know the moment I walk up and can talk to me, something you can't do with Arlo because of the delay.  Arlo may have 4K but only if your elite (or no plan at all and you get 200 notifications because you won't have smart, can only be accessed by the account holder and must use VPN if away from home)  To use all the features you have to be powered not battery or solar so why not just use a wired 4K system,  Some of them even allow adding a couple wireless cams.  That leaves me with only one thing I prefer with Arlo,the 180 view allows me to use fewer cams but then there is a little warping and I have since seen these to be costly enough I can buy a lot more cams to cover the same area with another brand.  These are my opinions only

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation