Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
dwbrock
Tutor
Tutor

Are the new Arlo outdoor mounts less secure than previous models?  As you can see from these pictures, the pivoting head can be removed easily via the wing nut.   Seems it makes it extermely easy to remove camera from the mount..

MountTogether.pngMountApart.jpg

6 REPLIES 6
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Frankly, no threaded mount for these cameras is really that secure. I wouldn't even bother with the wingnut but would just unscrew the camera in the first place. If you really need to secure the camera, the use of a security cable connected to the camera and house is a minimum or a cage of some sort is needed. And even then, a determined person can still get through most any measure.

AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

No difference in security.  As noted...1/4” x 20 threads are completely insecure, the the previous mount also had a collar that was easily removed as well.

the design of the new mount with the wing nut looks like a much better design.  When tightening the collar on the old mount it would rotate the silver cone beneath and alter the direction in which the threaded rod would swing.  It was horrible.  This looks far better.

DamianR
Apprentice
Apprentice
Hi.
The new mounts do indeed allow for easier positioning I have found...
If you are concerned about security of the camera, a dab of loctite on the thread into the camera housing works great, as well as changing rhe plastic nut to a metal one...
As far as the wingnut goes, cut it with a hacksaw and then slot it.
Now it needs a screwdriver to undo. Leave the thread long enough and you can add a locknut too.
Cheers.
mrhilly
Tutor
Tutor

What is the model number of the new mount ?

I Need 2 more

AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

I'm not sure those new mounts are available separately yet.  Arlo seems to forget the accessories are both important to us and presumably far easier to get to market than the cameras.  So they are unfortunately an afterthought in terms of manufacturing and availability.  

The mount below is availalble and I like it so far.

https://www.arlo.com/en-us/products/arlo-pro/outdoor-mount.aspx

DamianR
Apprentice
Apprentice
Yrs, I have some of those and they work fine.
A trip to your local electronics store or Amazon will turn up a heap of mounts compatible with the threaded mount option.
Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation