Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Mounting Cameras To Brick

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 8 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
rjcArlo
Initiate
Initiate

IMG_0591.jpgSince there isn't a whole lot of information on here / out there about mounting cameras to brick, I figured I would share my experience / how I mounted mine.  I did as much research as I could and decided to go with Tapcon concrete screws (since they are removable).  I bought the smallest size I could find at 3/16".  I bought 1 3/4" length screws.  I was planning on buying 1 1/4", but the smallest length they had in white was 1 3/4", and I preferred the look of the white screws on the white mount (instead of blue).  I also bought the Tapcon recommended concrete screw drill bit at 5/32" x 4 1/2" (Tapcon actually recommends 5/32" x 3 1/2").  I bought Bosch drill bits after reading horrible reviews on Tapcon drill bits.  I also bought a 1/8" concrete / masonry drill bit to drill pilot holes.  

Tapcon recommends drilling your holes a little bit deeper than the length of the screws, so I drilled 2" pilot holes with the 1/8" drill bit (after using the mount  & a sharpie to mark the location of the holes).  I used a tape measure to measure 2" back from the tip of the drill bit, and placed a piece of blue painter's tape on the bit so I knew when / where to stop.  Start slow when starting your holes!  The drill will shift / walk on you on a brick surface!  Might not be a bad idea to use a punch to mark / start your holes (now that I think about it); I had to drill 2 sets of holes because my first set was off a good bit & I didn't want to risk driving the screws only for it not to work.  My second set was even off a little, but it wasn't off enough that I couldn't successfully drive the screws.  Hopefully, the structural integrity isn't affected.  I followed up with the 5/32" bit, and then I drove my screws through the mount / into the brick.  Easy, peasy!  

Oh yeah, I used a hammer drill!  Again, be sure to start slow!!  I believe that's all there was to it...  With the right tools & equipment, it's a pretty simple job.  My only concern at this time is the signal through the brick.  I've had to move my SmartHub around a bit in order for it to pick-up this camera (along with all the others at the same time).  And now my kids are complaining about their signals because I had to move / tap into mesh network towers around the house.  I'm still tinkering with it to make everyone happy, in addition to having good camera coverage.  Hope this helps anyone looking to mount their cameras into brick!

2 REPLIES 2
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

Thx for sharing this - I think many folks will find it helpful.

rjcArlo
Initiate
Initiate
my pleasure. I just know it would have been extremely helpful to me during my search.
Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 8 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation