Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
prj32
Initiate
Initiate
Geofencing has always had temperamental issues, but TBH it has been stable for the last few months. Since the introduction of new 2.9.1 App replacing legacy 2.7.15 App, geofencing has been stuck on home mode regardless of iPhone (iOS 12.4.x and 13.1.x) location (2 x iPhones). I have confirmed IOS Location services are Always On and independent Arlo accounts are used, however state is locked. https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Pro/Geofencing-not-working-with-new-Arlo-app/td-p/1724817 has described using ITFFF to resolve however reluctant to pass over camera control to another 3rd party. Any others experience or have solution?

Thanks

Hardware:VMB5000r4
Firmware:1.12.3.2_134_185068d
2 x Ultra
34 REPLIES 34
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

prj32,

After downloading and installing the new Arlo mobile app, you will need to navigate to your Geofencing settings and enable all desired devices participating in geofencing.

Take a look here for more information on this: Why isn't the Geofencing mode working?

JamesC

prj32
Initiate
Initiate
Thanks for chiming in @JamesC these settings were automatically carried over with app migration, however these were re-confirmed as correct. Each endpoint has relevant Location mode exceptions. As discussed, both iPhone’s are present and showing correct state, but Home & Away not switching.
pjt85
Tutor
Tutor

This week I too have been experiencing Geofencing issues. Looking at the community posts my issue appears to be well reported over the years (some as far back as 2017) and as recently as the start of last month. It's the old "Internet connection is lost. Geofencing in Arlo is unavailable at the moment". https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo/Geofencing-shows-quot-Internet-Connection-is-Lost-quot-when-I/td-... 

In the above link, the Arlo support rep didn't even bother to follow-up on the users provided evidence requested. Pretty poor form. Considering I've spent $1.5K on this system, i'd expect it to work properly, or at least have timely support responses or updates to issues... If i'd have known about all the issues I've read about, i'd have probably gone another route. That said, my own fault for not researching enough up front... Lesson learnt. 

Back on the issue... I have checked both iPhones participating in Geofencing have the app set to always for location services and background refresh. Geofencing just won't update until I open the Arlo app on the phone. Interesting it only starting screwing up this week, when Arlo released an update for the app to support iOS13...

Anyone else having the same issues? can't just be me, surely... 

VictorJetz
Guide
Guide
I have the same issues after installing the new App. Had this system for about 3-4 years now and I think it is time to make the switch to another more reliable system and service. Thanks for nothing Arlo and Netgear. Its a shame because when it worked, it was great.
tju317
Initiate
Initiate

I've been experiencing the same. Frustrating....

Kuawk
Aspirant
Aspirant

I've only had geofencing issues when transitioning to the new app, new phone and new IOS. It could be possible that one of them is the culprit. However I get this message of loss of internet connectivity on t he app. And then geofencing kicks in when I launch the app. I'm not too sure if it is IOS that is causing issues with this. 

Phone: Iphone 11 pro

IOS: 13.1.2

Version of arlo app: 2.9.1

Can Arlo advise on a resolution to this?

jsturess
Luminary
Luminary

@prj32 has the problem been solved for you? I think I have the same problem as you https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Ultra/Problem-with-Geofencing/m-p/1734168#M7372

punchbuggy
Guide
Guide

There are some things I've found which must be set for Geofencing to operate properly (assuming it's actually been set up fully in the app):

Your iPhone must be set to automatically connect to your home WiFi when you're in range;

You must be logged into the Arlo app;

Background App Refresh for the Arlo app must be enabled; and

Location Services must be set to "always" for the Arlo app.

Regardless, I use geofencing constantly but it is erratic. Should I arrive home and it hasn't changed to home mode (disabled), I have to go into Mode settings to disable it then re-enable Geofencing mode. It then normally detects I'm home and disables.

TheBoys7885
Tutor
Tutor
If your having continued issues and not get response from Arlo, personally I would look into your consumer rights, in Australia you can apply for a refund or part for faulty items outside of warrant if they were expected to do a task and aren’t. I think the more people do that then Arlo will look at the issue as they don’t seem to respond to issues raised by their consumers 😞
MORGiON666
Star
Star

Yep geofencing has been dead since iOS 13 / new arlo app.

For me it only updates location an relevant mode if we open the app (3 users / 3 different model iPhones)

to me I seems to be a issue with the way the app updates in the background. If I remember correctly Apple changed how this works with iOS 13. Perhaps the devs need to revisit this part of the code as it may not be properly implemented.

Johnross35
Aspirant
Aspirant
Getting the exact same issue. Only switches to home or away when I go into the app.

Pre migration to the new app, it worked reliably.

All setting successfully carried over. Any ideas?
Leizl
Aspirant
Aspirant
Same issue with Arlo pro 2.
Geofencing only update the position if I open Arlo app. Same for my wife.

All problems started with Arlo app update to 2.11 version; same problem with 2.11.1.

This is not iOS problem because all others geofencing app works properly (IFTTT, Philips Hue etc.);
ONLY PROBLEMS WITH ARLO APP.

I’ve tried to reinstall app, restart everything, and many other things but nothing work.

Strange thing: when I reinstalled the Arlo app it asked me to use my position for using geofencing, but the options were only “while using the app”, “never” and “once”, but NOT “ALWAYS”.
I’ ve changed afterwards in the iPhone settings...

I hope Arlo will solve the problem soon

pjt85
Tutor
Tutor

Just an update for this thread. I contacted Technical Support via phone this weekend and got through to someone. When I advised them I was following up on the Geo-fencing issue, she immediately responded with the support team are 'diligently' working on a fix and know this is a problem. I asked for an ETA on the fix, to which she didn't have one. I advised her she should consider providing this update to the support communities (here) so customers at least know Arlo are working on fixing the issue... She told me she would let them know to update the community (doubt they will!)... Right now, i'm just resorting to manually setting the system when i leave, and when i get home. Not ideal, but its the only flaw in the system right now, and they are assuring me its being fixed. I plan on calling each week and asking for an update, so hopefully the tickets logged will grow enough to put a spotlight on the impact of the issue. I'd encourage others to do the same. I also noticed on the weekend they are active on their Facebook page, so perhaps some negative feedback about this issue on that forum may trigger a more focused effort by Arlo to get the issue resolved.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Our team is aware that some users are experiencing issues with the geofencing capability on iOS.  Arlo is working with our technology partner to resolve this issue expeditiously and we expect to deliver a resolution shortly.  We apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate your patience while our team is working to improve the experience.

JamesC

smiller29
Tutor
Tutor
Yes I am having the same issue
harlequinman
Tutor
Tutor
I have just bought these Ultra’s to get a better video picture and more features. I’m disappointed that Geofencing is not currently working, something that was never an issue with the Pro 2’s. I am going to test Arlo Geofencing with IFTTT to see if that makes a difference as a temporary solution. All my other location based apps are working perfectly well e.g. Life360 which depends on movement in and out of zones. @JamesC can you give the community an outlook for fix please?
SillySam
Apprentice
Apprentice

This has been going on for over a month with me! I have been having the problem where I leave it shows me out of zone, then when my wife leaves it doe not arm from geofencing integration. I have to manually set it every day.. Im feeling ripped off at this point it is a nonstop headache and now I understand why people just pay for traditional alarm systems and monitoring. I have been with Arlo as a whole sense day one and have given them the benefit of the drought thru the years and this has become the last straw.

VictorJetz
Guide
Guide
The issues with Geofencing continue and seem to be getting worse. Now I have to ask all four members of my family to constantly log into the app just so it can figure out whether to arm or disarm. TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE.

I plan on getting on social media and see if that helps prompt Netgear to do something. After all, this time of the year is all about sales and marketing and may be a little pressure might get them to spend more on redevelopment of the iOS 13 version if the arlo app.
harlequinman
Tutor
Tutor
Arlo are a separate company now to Netgear so make sure you tag Arlo and not Netgear.
TheBoys7885
Tutor
Tutor
Which I assume lies the issues the issues we have been having since the new app.
TheBoys7885
Tutor
Tutor
How do you setup the Ifttt I have an account with them!
harlequinman
Tutor
Tutor
Once you have an IFTTT account, select the Arlo tile then just search through the Arlo applets to find one you want to use. Once you have found one which sounds like one you want to use then you can edit it e.g. I am running 2 applets called “If you enter an area disarm Arlo” and “If you exit an area, arm Arlo”. I’m still testing these at the moment but they seem to work so far. However when I return home I wish to switch to a schedule rather than disarm completely so I need to check what the applet does. If it switches to schedule mode when I arrive home great but it may only go directly to disarm. I will find out later today/tomorrow.
SillySam
Apprentice
Apprentice
I have a quick question for everyone here! Does everyone use GomeKit that is having problems with Geofencing? Did it start after adding everything to HomeKit? I’m having problems with mine and it constantly does not work..
Sparky7
Guide
Guide
Another one not working on 2 separate systems 3 iphones we're having to manually arm/disarm sometimes just opening the app doesn't work. We might as well go back to turning the normal alarm on when the last one leaves arlo has yet again become useless and unreliable.