Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 48 Replies
  • 16 Likes
  • 13 In Conversation
Kammfam
Luminary
Luminary

I've had my Ultra system set up for a  couple weeks now with a few of my older Pro2 cameras added on as well. At least once a day, my cameras will miss motion. It's like the base station just stops working for a few minutes and then works fine a few minutes later. I stood and watched my neighbor back into my driveway the other day, stop his car and get out for a minute, and then pull away. None of my cameras caught it. (And this particular neighbor is the reason why I have cameras in the first place, so it's really important that they don't miss motion!!) My cameras all missed my car leaving the house yesterday but saw me coming home. I regularly see the same car passing my driveway going in the same direction... and I live on a dead-end street. 

I have cable internet with 60 Mbps speeds, so connection is not the issue. I would suspect an individual camera connection, except this seems to affect ALL cameras on my system at the same time. My old Pro2 base would randomly disconnect from the internet (one of the reasons I upgraded), but that was obvious because the internet light on the base would suddenly go out. I'm not seeing anything on my base station or web interface that would indicate the cameras are offline.

My other issue is that with my new Ultra cameras, I sometimes don't get notifications for movement. Sometimes I get notifications right away, sometimes they are delayed for 5-20 minutes, and sometimes they just don't show up at all. I've uninstalled and reinstalled my app, no change.

48 REPLIES 48
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Kammfam,

Missing motion could be an indication that the motion you're trying to detect is too far away. Where are your cameras positioned? How far away is the motion you're trying to detect?

Consider taking a look at this article to be sure your cameras are positioned for best performance: How do I position my Arlo Ultra camera to detect motion in specific areas?

JamesC

Kammfam
Luminary
Luminary
Perhaps my initial post wasn't clear. At random times throughout the day, ALL of my cameras stop detecting motion, all at the same time. But when I open my app, I am immediately able to live view. It's like the base station just stops working for a minute.

I pass 3 cameras leaving my house, I'm within 5' of each. NONE of the cameras saw me go by. But they all detected motion a few minutes later.

This happens at least once a day.
Wsu0805
Tutor
Tutor

I’m having this problem too. No more recordings for a few days and I haven’t changed anything about the position of the cameras

n1976jmk
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Hi Kammfam, do you have an August Home smart lock?

Thanks!
Kammfam
Luminary
Luminary

No. Why??

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Kammfam,

A new firmware update came out recently that addressed several issues. Do you still experience this with the latest firmware version?

JamesC

Wsu0805
Tutor
Tutor

Could this be because of the firmware update?  I stopped seeing recordings on the 19th/20th.  And my settings still correct to capture motion

thanks

Kammfam
Luminary
Luminary

When did the firmware come out? I've noticed missed motion just a couple days ago. I can't tell you about today because my system has been mysteriously down for most of the day today. 😞

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

The most recent camera firmware came out July 16th.

If you're still experiencing an issue. Please contact the Support Team to further investigate.

JamesC

Kammfam
Luminary
Luminary

Yeah, it has definitely been since then. My Pro2 cameras had the same issue, where sometimes they would catch motion and sometimes they wouldn't (at the same distance). I've opened so many tickets that I've given up. I've had a ticket open for a month now about corrupt files on my Pro2 cameras, and still no resolution (and it's the 2nd ticket I've opened because the 1st got closed prematurely!) Support is generally NO HELP. 😞

pjama
Luminary
Luminary

I'd like to add a plus one to the original post.

Very similar situation where one camera trained on short stair case where centre of frame is btm of stairs and they escalate to btm left of frame so pretty much take up 1/4 of frame. I've missed two captures that I know of in the last few days of a person walking up the stairs.

Another instance this morning where arlo didn't capture spouse walking out of house past one or two cams (not sure if she exited back or front at this point) and drove off right under carport cam without a thing being recorded.

I had everything on unadulterated alert mode at the time, all cams are at least detect person and other motion in smart detection.

Had online chat with support who advised upping the sensitivity and repositioning the camera which I've yet to do but it's a hard one to determine if this is effective as 99% of the time it easily captures the same thing in similar circumstances.

Just my recent experience to add to the discussion.

Cheers

P

n1976jmk
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Kammfam, last question.  Is your cameras connected to AC power or battery power?

thanks!

Kammfam
Luminary
Luminary

Battery power.

pjama
Luminary
Luminary

My 4 ultra cams are all battery powered and pretty much fully charged.

n1976jmk
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

another question please.

When Arlo doesn’t send push notifications and miss recording motion have ever checked the ‘mode’ and is set to ‘armed’ or whatever mode you have selected or does the mode show ‘getting information’ instead in the mode section from the app?

Thanks!
Kammfam
Luminary
Luminary

I've never checked the mode during missed motion. But I never change it from Armed.

n1976jmk
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
I never change my mode from ‘armed’ either but mine has been going to by itself to ‘getting information’ and when it’s like that then no push notifications or motion recordings.

The only way I’ve found to fix the mode showing getting information is to reboot the base station which happens about 2-5 times a day (screenshot attached).
pjama
Luminary
Luminary

Re mode: when I suspected I'd missed a recording, I recharged and rebooted the camera and set the mode from schedule that had 2 of 4 cams armed (similar setting to armed) to the default arlo "armed" mode. So when I missed a recording last night and this morning it was in arlo default armed mode for sure.

Wsu0805
Tutor
Tutor

Is this due to the firmware update?  Is there a fix?  I'd like my cameras to pick up motion again and capture the recordings.  thanks.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Wsu0805,

Please contact the Arlo Support Team to further investigate the issue you are experiencing. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link.

JamesC

pjama
Luminary
Luminary

Just an update of my observations on this: I'm still having this issue where videos and notifications go MIA. This afternoon, I noticed my two front cameras totally missed 5 solid interactions or so I thought. There was no notifications and no videos on the portal BUT they ARE on the local microSD card.

What gives? As far as I know, my internet connection is pretty solid but these weren't uploaded to the portal. Additionally, my arlo wirless indicatiors are at 2 of the 3 bars but that wouldn't be the issue if they can upload video over the arlo wireless to the bas station.

In fact there's some 30 vids on my SD card that aren't on the portal between 16:15 and 18:10 today. Some of these might have escaped notification because of smart detection but AFAIK they still should get uploaded to the portal. I'd say these vids would just be lost for those people that don't have a local SD card

My best guess would be an issue with the immediate  access to the upload server at time of recording which could be anything from arlo wifi, local network, ISP, Internet routing and/or latency and availability of the upload server.

Anyway, I hope this info will help solve this issue as it is giving me serious doubts about Ultra's reliability

pjama
Luminary
Luminary

> Another instance this morning where arlo didn't capture spouse walking out of house past one or two cams (not sure if she exited back or front at this point) and drove off right under carport cam without a thing being recorded.

I can confirm that this vid missing on the portal is on the SD card.

Kammfam
Luminary
Luminary

That's really interesting. How would someone ever know that they had missing videos if they only go straight to the SD card? And I have 8 cameras on my system, so trying to sort through the SD file names to find which camera is which is a nightmare. But I did test this today when I saw a video of a car coming out from our dead end road but no video of it ever going in. No missing videos on my SD. 😞

pjama
Luminary
Luminary

> That's really interesting.

I'm not suggesting it is a solution, just an observation to possibly help solve the issue.

> How would someone ever know that they had missing videos if they only go straight to the SD card?

My SD symbol temporarily turns yellow when videos have been saved to it. Do you have *any* videos on your SD card? I've got hundreds which I'm a bit surprised at as I thought it was only supposed to save on the SD when internet was not available but I might have that wrong. I guess it's the obvious place to save 4K videos that don't get uploaded to the portal (as 4K).

> And I have 8 cameras on my system, so trying to sort through the SD file names to find which camera is which is a nightmare.

Yeah, it's not pretty but each video file name has the camera serial number plus some string I have no idea about plus the date/time the video was taken so there is *some* sanity. Bring on the app access to the local storage ASAP!

> But I did test this today when I saw a video of a car coming out from our dead end road but no video of it ever going in.

OK, it sounds like you have a different problem to mine. It could be a motion detection problem or possibly sensitivity (try upping the sensitvity a bit). It could be cars going one way are on the other side of road and out of range. If the car wasn't detected goin in, then there would obviosly be no recording.

In my situation, I KNOW arlo should be detecting and recording because movement is smack bang, large as life right in the middle of the frame and if it's dark I can see the IR lights but I get no video on the portal and no notification. It's just that it's intermittent and on the occasions I back checked, the missing video was on the SD card.

>No missing videos on my SD. Smiley Sad

Per above, I think you and I have slightly differnt problems masquarading as the same result of no videos on the portal.

I REALLY hope they fix these issues soon as I'm losing confidence in my arlo system ATM.

Discussion stats
  • 48 Replies
  • 16 Likes
  • 13 In Conversation