Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
DJM911
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi everyone, so I will hopefully be getting my camera installed outside this week - trying to best understand heights and limitations of the Arlo Ultra 4K. The guy fitting these for me has mentioned about fitting them at the top (under fascia board area) of my two story house. This is because I am hard wiring them, and the cables are coming out through fascia from attic area. 

I see online few people mentioned around 10ft height, but obviously at the top of my house will be more around the 20-30ft. Does any one have experience of these camera at this height?

I am not overly concerned about coloured night vision, if that doesn't work at height I don't mind (not a deal breaker), my biggest concern here is the quality of picture. I want to ensure I don't loose all quality by going to high. 

I have three cameras to fit, front door camera has to cover distance of around 25ft in front of it. Side camera has to cover around 40ft in front it and rear camera has to cover around 20ft in front of it. So will have these downwards facing to pic up motion below and shelter camera lenses from rain and sun. 

Being fitted with the fixed arm brackets (not magnetic ones) and I have silicone covers also to add some extra protection and plan to shelter them under the gutters. 

Keen for anyone's and everyone's feedback of their install experiences of heights and positioning. Thanks 

2 REPLIES 2
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

FWIW mine are much lower.  It'd be good if folks chime in who have their cameras similarly mounted.

I'd be a bit worried about the motion detection working well at that height.  The passive infrared (PIR) sensors have a spec'd range of 20-25 feet, and with the vertical drop you will be exceeding that.  You might want to mount one camera outside a window temporarily before the install, so you can test it.

A second consideration is that if something does go wrong, the troubleshooting usually starts with rebooting the camera (removing any AC power, and removing/reinserting the battery), and sometimes even resetting the camera.  Both require taking the camera down.  It'd be convenient if you had a way to safely get to them w/o needing to climb a ladder to the second story.

LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

Like Stephen said 20/25 feet, basic math for angles the higher you go the less you have going out.  As for personnal experience, I had one aimed at the driveway at 9 feet high just under the overhang and was lucky to get 20.  After reading a article on best placement I lowered it to 7 foot and now pick up cars at 35 feet.  The one on the parking side of the house was at 10 feet high and could only do 18 feet, moving it to 7 foot gets 25/30 depending on car, person, cat.

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation