Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
I've had Arlo for years this is not the first time I've seen them put out a firmware update untested and just destroy the system. And they don't even seem to care. Their customer service sucks. I'm sure after the Forum leader reads this it will be deleted just like many posts on this form are deleted
49 REPLIES 49
Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
All I can tell you is arlo Engineers contacted me today by email I gave them my login information I told them what the problems were they are looking at my log files trying to figure out what the problem is
53Crusher
Apprentice
Apprentice

I was one of the very first owners of the Arlo Ultra system and am well versed in it and previous firmware updates/problems. This is my current system.

Base Station VMB500r4 Firmware 1.15.0.1_244_c345a43

4 Ultra Cameras H6 Firmware 1.070.50.0_197_09137a0

Audio Doorbell HW version 1.2 Firmware 1.2.0.0_309_283

Chime HW version 1.2 Firmware 1.2.0.0_297_266

Android Arlo App 2.12.0_26090 released 12/13/19

All cameras have constant AC power cables

The above is just to show that my $1500 Arlo Ultra system is completely up to date for firmware/software and is still completely non-functional. Although I did NOT want to spend 1/2 of my weekend troubleshooting Arlo equipment, I felt it was my duty to try and be part of the solution and not just complain. I did NOT want to go down this road, but I did. 

Got out my ladder, physically removed all four Ultra cameras, audio doorbell and chime. Within the Arlo desktop app, I removed the chime, bell, four cameras and then base. Pressed sync button on chime 10 seconds to reset it. Pressed sync button on doorbell 10 seconds to reset it. Removed the batteries from all four cameras. Pressed reset on the base station for 10 seconds. Took the additional steps of deleting all video in my cloud storage library. Bought a brand new 64Gb SD card for the base station. Deleted the cache for my Arlo Android app and then deleted the app. Restarted cell phone and re-installed Arlo app. 

At this point, I believe I had created the equivalent of a new out of box experience. Plugged Ethernet cable into my SmartHub and applied power. Light went to a solid blue. Used my newly installed Android app to add the SmartHub to my account. To be extra safe, I gave it a different name than before. Inserted brand new 64 GB SD card and reformatted with the Arlo Android app. One at a time, I installed the camera batteries and added them using my Android app. To be extra cautious, all cameras received a new name. 

Finally, I added the audio doorbell (with new name), and associated it to a camera. Lastly, added the Arlo chime (with new name). All synced well and everything went as it should have. 

Physically reinstalled all devices back to where they belong. Verified that I could do a "live view" on all cameras. Doorbell and Chime behaved as expected. 

THIS IS WHERE I BELIEVE THE PROBLEM LIES.........

Tried to set up activity zones with my Android app as well as Desktop app. All four cameras are automatically zoomed to either the upper left 1/4 of the live view screen, or they are even zoomed into a 12"x 12" area in the upper left quadrant. There is no way for me to change this. As a result, I can NOT set an activity zone and they really only trigger when something happens in this small area. 

Although Arlo hasn't paid me to be a beta tester for their system over the last year, that is EXACTLY what I have had to do to protect my $1500 investment. I REALLY hope you will forward this to your engineers. There is NOTHING I can do to make this better. The problem lies with the firmware update of 12/2. Instead of focusing on new features, Arlo should make sure that basic functionality exists first. I am starting to regret my purchase last year. 

Certainly i could call tech support and let them take me through their pre-written scripts, but as you can see I have meticulously done what they would have me do and my system is still no better than a door stop.  The problem lies with ARLO.

PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHAT TO DO!

J-Boy20
Guide
Guide
@Johnny290

Please keep us posted what you figure out or what they say. Thanks for the update!
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

The engineering team is working hard to resolve the issues being reported here with Activity Zones, SmartHubs falling offline etc. I don't have a solution to provide at this time but will post again here as soon as I receive more information from the team.

We apologize for any inconvenience caused and appreciate your patience while we work to resolve these issues.

JamesC

Whops
Apprentice
Apprentice

Left a review and compliant on BBB web site. 

Whops
Apprentice
Apprentice

Check out these reviews left on BBB  website.   I am surprised Arlo is still in business.

Also the Complaints on BBB

I left both a review and compliant,  not sure how long it takes BBB to post them.

Tommy27
Guide
Guide

Hi James

I have bought the Arlo Ultra starter kit with two cameras approx. two weeks ago and I am facing an issue that you have already marked as being resolved in an earlier firmware version (see post https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Ultra/ARLO-ULTRA-MOTION-RECORDING-quot-GOES-TO-SLEEP-quot/m-p/171...). I have exactly the problems that are stated there in the initial post. Besides the Arlo Ultra I am still running the first generation cameras at the same smart hub (VMB5000r4). The old Arlo cameras are just working fine with the recording, only the new Ultra cameras have issues. It is very cumbersome if with new firmware old (already "resolved" problems) are coming back again. Are you aware of these recording issues in the current version of the firmware (1.15.0.1_244_c345a43)?

Best regards,

Tom

Whops
Apprentice
Apprentice

I am in awe at how Arlo can not fix this problem.   I did file a compliant last night on BBB.  They forward it to Arlo.  Arlo responded right away,  that they are aware of the problem, and are working on fixing it.  No mention of a time table, No mention of why they can not go back to the working firmware.   (While it was not perfect, certainly much much better then the upgrade)  I rejected their response, and wrote another letter back asking that question,  why can you not answer the question about rolling back to working firmware.   I also said,  that they should have documented all the changes they made,  so it should not be that difficult to change it back.   II am waiting for their response back to me.  It would appear that Matthew McRae is just passing the buck to his lame software team and not applying any pressure to get this resolved.  I also mentioned in my response that it seemed Arlo was more interested in rolling out new products and dealing with those issues then working with their established base that have purchased cameras.   My compliant and the back and forth should be publicly posted on their compliant website,  just not sure if they wait to post after it has been resolved or in real time.   But as usual Arlo is just blowing us off.    More people need to be making complaints on BBB this will get their attention faster then comments here.   If something does not happen soon will start posting on the ripoff sites.

surfer1000
Luminary
Luminary
Caught up on feed and DMs, acknowledge some Ultra users having issues - was able to synch internally, teams are working on it and have been. Not widespread and difficult to reproduce. For anyone experiencing an issue, DM me your hub serial number and team will look at it today.
surfer1000
Luminary
Luminary
That's from CEO's twitter
Whops
Apprentice
Apprentice

@surfer1000
I do not understand this message,   Who are we suppost to DM hub serial number?    It has been my experience that info is available to any support tech that is working on the issue.   If they can see how many bars the wi-fi signal is,  or how strong the signal is,  then the info is also there for S/N.   All of us have contacted support many times,  and I am sure as I have they have received case numbers,  that promise a call from support in 1-2 business days.   Just today I received a new case number from support,  in response to my compliant on BBB.   I did not ask for a new case number they just sent it to me as a way they think resolves the issue of my compliant.  Here is what they sent to me:
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

"Thank you for using our online portal. We have created a new case #41332252 for your request and assigned it to our support team.

An Arlo Support expert will review your query and respond within 1-2 business days."

I do not expect to receive a call,  as I have already been waiting for days for a call back of Level 2 Tech.  

@surfer1000 wrote:
Caught up on feed and DMs, acknowledge some Ultra users having issues - was able to synch internally, teams are working on it and have been. Not widespread and difficult to reproduce. For anyone experiencing an issue, DM me your hub serial number and team will look at it today.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

The development team is hard at work to resolve these reported issues. I do not have an ETA for a fix to be released but will provide an update as soon as I have more information.

We apologize for any inconvenience caused and appreciate your patience while we work to resolve these issues.

JamesC

Mjbeuke
Apprentice
Apprentice
Well they are aware of and acknowledged the problem - that means we’re about 3 months out from a stable fix, and that’s assuming everything else isn’t messed up by then.

@JamesC can I send you a tin of Christmas Cookies? It seems you deserve this an much more being forced to tow the company line and having been given zero information on what the hell is happening internally. Reminds me of the company I used to work for.
JehovasFitness
Luminary
Luminary

I love the audacity of Arlo's marketing team that sent out an email this morning advertising the Ultras. 

Echostorm
Tutor
Tutor

The Activity Zone is totally broken on a PVR plan, if you downgrade to normal resolution plan it looks like the activity zone works.  The firmware update basically gimped the 4K PVR plans.  I think what is happening is that the Activity Zone was NOT upscaled in the PVR plan to the 4K zone, so essentially the activity zone is now only applying to 1/4 of the 4K sensor and triggering all sorts of non-sense because it is trying to AI a quarter of the image for human, animal, movement detection, more importantly, though it is MISSING 3/4rd of the motion detection on the sensor... I can't even get anyone on the phone!

surfer1000
Luminary
Luminary
Yeah but my system is **bleep**ed and I don't even use activity zones
Echostorm
Tutor
Tutor
The same thing happens if you enable local 4K video, or PVR, anything that makes the camera operate in 4K screws up the Activity Zones
Whops
Apprentice
Apprentice

We certainly are not getting what we paid for.     I see no purpose in disabling features that is the only reason that I purchased Arlo Ultra instead of Ring.  

By the way,   I was starting yesterday to go back and look at various reviews on major web sites like CNet.  that is the first one that I am looking at.  There are way more negative comments for Arlo then positive ones.   So I guess their are more people then us on here having issues and writing negative comments.    I will look on other sites as well.   The person doing the reviews of course is writing glowing reviews,  but either are being paid by Arlo or have not used the product enough to know the issues.

Whops
Apprentice
Apprentice

I left a compliant on BBB, I think that is useless as BBB as never posted my compliant, probably paid by Arlo not to do so. Anyway they did send my compliant to Arlo and I received a response, canned answer. then I received in my email a new case number. That makes maybe the thirteenth one they have issued to me, and say someone will contact me in 1-2 business days. Today is the second business day. No call yet, nor do I really expect one as they have never called me back from a case number. Takes constant badgering to get that call back.

LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

BBB doesn't immediately post a complaint, they contact the business for a reply, send you the reply for your comments, then get back to them trying to first resolve it.  At least that's the way it worked for me, it got results including a very pissed off business but it was taken care of.  I think they should still post it and maybe mark as resolved but people can still see what you went through.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

We are aware of a small number of users who have been negatively impacted due to recent Ultra FW releases. This resulted in false motion detection events, inconsistent activity zone behavior and SmartHub devices dropping offline. The development team is actively testing a firmware fix to address these concerns. Arlo would like to thank the users who have been working with our engineering team to provide field data to help us better understand what users are experiencing.

We will continue to update you on the progress and appreciate your patience while we work to deliver the fixes.

JamesC

Echostorm
Tutor
Tutor

I tried with all of my cameras switching them to 4K on local network or on PVR and everytime I enable 4K it looks like the activity zone is messed up an zoomed in.  Right now I can right my Ultras only on HD... so they are marginally better than my Arlo Pro 2's but almost triple the price --- please fix this ASAP and refund or credit me for the PVR that I am paying an unable to use!

pjt85
Tutor
Tutor

Guys, The last app update to fix geofencing took ages (but worked!), and I found that raising the issue on their Facebook page (specifically as a comment under a new marketing post) attracted almost immediate attention and response from Arlo. While I don't live in America, I assume the BBB will be like most organisations of their kind, and take forever to actually get anything done (if they even can). Hitting the Social's is the way to get the attention of Arlo IMO, as the only Arlo employee on here who consistently provides any form of update is JamesC, who unfortunately only seems to be able to provide 'headlines' based on what his development and marketing team approve (no offense JamesC 🙂 )

Honestly, This latest firmware has also impacted my Ultra system, with recordings cutting off after 10-20 seconds, even while motion is still happening in the recording, and some recordings starting way after the event (the device's page shows what triggered it, but the recording is of nothing, after the event).

I'm heading off to their Facebook page now (Australia and New Zealand Page - https://www.facebook.com/ArloSmartHomeANZ/) to find a post to comment on, and leave this latest update for all their new prospect customers to read. This may (or may not!) slow sales for them over what could be forecasted by their sales team as a 'busy period' over Christmas. The quickest way to go out of business, is to lose the focus on the customers, both the existing and the new!

shawn519
Guide
Guide
I just had a new arlo ultra base station sent to me because my original base station (less than 4 months old) completely died! Apparently my new base station arrived in the middle of MANY firmware updates. My system worked perfectly for 2 days, then the firmware update around December 11 totally screwed my system, to the extent that the base station was constantly offline. When I did a hard restart, the base station won’t stay connected to my internet, and as a result, wont download the recent update. This also prevents me from re-adding my cameras to the system. I am now stuck in a never-ending loop The system powers up, attempts to download the most recent firmware, fails, and goes offline. Now my system is completely down.

Never in my life have I experienced so many issues with any product. I spent over $1,000 for my system 4 months ago, and it’s been a non-stop nightmare!
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

The major issues being discussed in this thread have been resolved with the most recent Ultra Camera and SmartHub firmware updates. Please check here to make sure your systems automatically updated to the latest versions:

Arlo Ultra VMC5040 - 1.070.50.2_205_0c7c8e1 - 19th December 2019

Arlo SmartHub VMB5000 - 1.15.0.4_297_aa40f04 - 18th December 2019

If you're having a different issue, please open a new thread here in the community, reach out to me in a private message directly or contact support to further investigate: Arlo Support Team

A big thanks to the community for helping our engineering team troubleshoot these issues and thank you for your patience while we worked to release these updates.

JamesC

Discussion stats