Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
n1976jmk
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Good evening everyone!

Over the last couple weeks, more and more of my cloud library recordings have a lot of solid gray color on them. I still receive the correct smart notifications on my Lock Screen. Additionally, sometimes the recording will go from working to almost solid gray screen. Or other times it’ll start in an almost solid gray screen and go to working again. This happens in my clips that pick up motion. It happens to both my Ultra cameras, but never at the same time.

This has happened in the past too but went away.

Anyone else experience this issue before?

Thanks,
Jonathan

57 REPLIES 57
Sbrown9119
Aspirant
Aspirant
No, I had them working perfectly wit 3 to 4 bars and weeks later this starts out of the blue. If this keeps up I will be returning them.
TheHUTMan
Tutor
Tutor

@JessicaP 

My signals are fine - the problem occurs on cameras with a very strong signal.  The videos, when viewed, are fine.  The only problem is the generated thumbnail image in about 10-25% of my daily recordings are corrupted (the number varies day to day - some days are better, others worse).  If I download the video, Window 10 makes its own thumbnail of the video and it also looks fine.  To me this says whatever is being used to generate the thumbnail has issues, and it only started up recently.

My system is new - bought only last month and worked fine until this started up on 9/10.  The base station has been rebooted thinking that may help - it did not.  I noticed a new firmware was released just before this started happening.

michaeljf69
Star
Star

@JessicaP

Unless a whole heap of people celebrated a new firmware version by simultaneously buying fishtanks or reinforcing their walls with steel bars I'd suggest it's likely a problem at Arlo's end.

To suggest that environmental factors are an issue with this problem is just lazy engineering support.

n1976jmk
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

@JessicaP 

in all due respect that comment does not belong in this thread.

countless people are dealing with this issue that Arlo created.

I have been dealing with this since at least August 21.

my system was working with no gray thumbnails or partial green thumbnails for 18 months.  And I also didn’t change anything or buy fish tanks or reinforce my homes wall.

can Arlo instead invest their efforts to fix there own causes issue.

I am still detailing this and pay for smart subscriptions for the gray and green thumbnails (as attached).

Marble2011
Initiate
Initiate
Thanks @n1976jmk for. Resting and running this thread

@JessicaP - I have also encountered this issue with grey notifications/ thumbnails.

Not a physical hardware issue, as my Arlo Ultras have been running perfectly for > 1 year.

Issue seems to be software/server related, as when I recall the video from the cloud, the video (and quality) is fine

Thanks
dcfox1
Master
Master

I have not seen this in in the library as some posted originally  but  in the device screen shot view has had been grey as in this screenshot in the last week. Today I have not seen it yet. 

Screenshot (8).png

owliegold3
Aspirant
Aspirant

Also having this issue and have had it since early August. Tried moving the Hub, moving the camera, restarting, removing the battery.... nothing works! 

RafS
Apprentice
Apprentice

I am also having the same issue with either a full grey screen or half the screen showing green.  The cameras have been up for almost a year and absolutely nothing has changed in my setup.  The cameras have excellent signal to the base station and my internet is at 700mbps.  This started happening within the last 2 weeks.  Was about to box them up and exchange them since I have a warranty plan at Best Buy but I would rather not go through all that if this is a wider issue. 

PIC ATTACHED

n1976jmk
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Yes RAF

I’ve too sadly spent hours of my life I won’t get back either and still waiting for Arlo to fix 😢😢😢
RafS
Apprentice
Apprentice

This just started happening when they supposedly fixed the issue they had with ALL the cameras showing as not being connected to the network which was happening for almost 3 weeks.  They fixed one issue and created another.   I recommend these cameras to friends and coworkers all the time but with all these issues lately, Arlo is really making me look stupid for doing so..

dcfox1
Master
Master

I have the grey out on the device page and it went away for a day or two so spoke to soon earlier. It started about a week ago. It is just on web, Edge and Chrome. Not a big deal for me since everything works but annoying. 

Screenshot (11).png

demannu
Apprentice
Apprentice

Also having this issue, yet another dud firmware update would have caused this. Alro is such a garbage product and their support is a joke.. 

Snyper912
Aspirant
Aspirant
n1976jmk
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

good luck all, I have been waiting since mid August 2020 and sadly still continues every hour here at my house.......

n1976jmk
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Yes DCFox I do not pay a monthly subscription fee for receive solid gray thumbnails on my iPhone lock screen from Arlo.

Since I get the solid gray thumbnails I have to open the Arlo app every time to find out what person or vehicle triggered the motion detection since I used to be able to tell from the lock screen before the gray thumbnails showed up 😞 😞 

n1976jmk
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

@JessicaP 

Can you please please tell us if there is any resolution in site for all of us?

thank you,

Jonathan

bgonzo1994
Tutor
Tutor

Following this thread for a possible resolution.  Also having the same issues with grayed out previews both in the notification form and the preview image of the library.  Also started happening just a couple weeks ago after update.

Opened a support case about 2 hours ago so hopefully Arlo is working on a fix... fingers crossed because having to open the app and launch the camera to see the motion detection and not only frustrating but can waste valuable seconds with potential security threats.

Again following for a resolution !!!

n1976jmk
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Good luck Bgonzo, unfortunately I am the one who started this thread and the case has been opened with Arlo support since mid August 2020.

Arlo support told me two or three weeks ago they were able to reproduce the issue but they could not give me any ETA for a timeline on repair :(.

I also have been having to open the Arlo app constantly to find out what the motion notification detection recording via the app library was since I get the gray thumbnails.

@JessicaP 

@JamesC 

@ShayneS 

FYI we are sadly coming up on somewhere around 45 days and waiting.......

n1976jmk
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Well I got desperate like times in the past and went to Twitter and tweeted to the Arlo CEO, Arlo Support and Arlo twitter accounts..  Not sure it is going to help this time though.

https://twitter.com/RileynAnnie/status/1309544663213314052?s=20

Ceeless
Aspirant
Aspirant
Getting the same issue here since early august. I have tried resetting the base station, moving it and hard resetting the cameras by taking the battery out.

Nothing has worked and I pay for a subscription. How would I go about getting a refund as the product/service is not meeting the consumer guarantee within my country?

Funnily enough, as I write this message a notification with the issue appeared.
rjmcinnes
Apprentice
Apprentice

Johnathan,

I posted a response some time ago: this is what I did to solve the grey icons in the Library.

I simply deleted the Old downloaded recordings from my iPhone 11 Pro.

On your iPhone, Go to Settings, SYSTEM, Clear downloaded videos, and all will be OK again.

[if some of the old recordings are important to retain on your iPhone, make a note of them, and scroll back later on and down load them again]

Note: I am not sure why this is necessary, I certainly was not out of memory capacity.  My iPhone 11 Pro has 256GB available...

I have three Ultra Cameras, and Arlo SmartHub recording (no Cloud recording).

After I have cleared the downloaded videos, I can go a few weeks before the problem reappears. 

Robert.

n1976jmk
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Rob, apologies but that does not fix it for us.
n1976jmk
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
FYI the solid gray thumbnails are everywhere, they are on my wife iPhone (she is granted access). They are on any web browser as well.

These recordings with the solid gray thumbnails are in the cloud not on the local SD card. So deleting them from my local iPhone doesn’t fix anything.

Additionally these solid gray thumbnails happen on the iPhone lock screen and the motion recordings in the cloud library, I don’t even have to play them first for them to change the thumbnails.
n1976jmk
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
For even further troubleshooting this morning I moved my Smart Hub and two Ultra cameras all five feet away from each other and unfortunately am still getting the solid gray thumbnails! 😢😢😢😢😢
Mpscott00
Aspirant
Aspirant

Add me to the list. This. problem is definitely on Arlos side and has been discussed across numerous threads. I also have tried all the usual steps to fix problems, reset, move the base, delete and add the camera. I opened a case but I'm not going to waste hours on the phone with support which has always been useless. the only hope is they push another update to fix the problem which will more than likely create a different problem. The system was great when I got it but after about 2 months, nothing but problems and nothing has changed on my end. I tell everyone that asks about my system to avoid Arlo products