Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Geofencing not working with iOS 13, Ultra camera battery drain, etc.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
User7
Guide
Guide

My experience with Arlo has been horrible from day 1.

First I had an Ultra camera refuse to connect with the Base Station. That took way to long to troubleshoot with Arlo engineers (I was almost 4 weeks without a camera), and the solution they gave was what I requested right from the beginning; a replacement camera.

Once that was all sorted, I admit the system was relatively stable for about a week or two. Except for a multitude of false notifications from absolutely nothing on the recordings. That got fixed by a software update eventualy.

Then I moved house and had to move my Base Station further away from my router as it's a large house. I had to place the base station as close to the middle of my cameras as I could so they could both get a signal. Not long after that I noticed all my cameras were draining battery at an alarming rate (like 30% a day), without any recordings to justify that kind of drain. Many conversations with Arlo got me nowhere, and was a complete waste of time. I found out myself that after doing a WiFi channel scan, the Arlo Smart Hub was following the WiFi channel of my neighbours WiFi, because that was the strongest network according to the Smart Hub. Now why on earth does a company like Netgear assume that the strongest WiFi channel is yours?! To fix this problem, I had to spend more money and buy a WiFi extender configured on a cleaner channel just so Arlo wouldn't drain camera batteries. Thanks Arlo!

I finally got through that hurdle, and still wanted to back my decision to buy this product. But then iOS 13 came out, and completely broke Geofencing to the point where the feature is unusable. I have app location set to always, I have Background App refresh set to always, but still despite the "enrolled devices" saying that I'm in the zone, Arlo is still stuck on Away mode!! I understand a new iOS could always break some things, but it's been way too long now without a fix!

I really don't trust this system, and I feel like I'm a beta tester during this whole "free 12 month trial of Arlo Smart" thing. Do Arlo really expect me to pay for this service? And are you giving any sort of compensation for all these issues to all the users experiencing problems?

3 REPLIES 3
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

User7,

I apologize for the poor experiences with getting your system up and running. Our team is aware that some users are experiencing issues with the geofencing capability on iOS.  Arlo is working with our technology partner to resolve this issue expeditiously and we expect to deliver a resolution shortly.  We apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate your patience while our team is working to improve the experience.

JamesC

User7
Guide
Guide
“Poor experience” is an understatement. The level of service here from a publicly listed company like Arlo is completely absurd.

For all your customers who have had a non functioning Smart Premier trial - What are you expecting them to do once the trials are over? That time is fast approaching and do you really expect us to pay for a service that doesn’t work as advertised?

I’ll ask again: What type of compensation will you offer to show gratitude for your customers putting up with ridiculous bugs week after week?
User7
Guide
Guide

I'll ask for a THIRD time...

What type of compensation will you offer to show gratitude for your customers putting up with ridiculous bugs week after week?

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation