Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
XJW
Apprentice
Apprentice
I'm raising this post to track/discuss this issue with Geofencing. Arlo app is frequently failing to detect in/out of zone. Manually changing mode to disarmed and then back to Geofencing appears to fix it.

Can someone with an Ultra kit test/provide feedback as to whether they see this defect.

I have 2x LG G6 on Android 8.0.1 using Geofencing medium sized zone. Arlo and Arlo Pro cameras.

I would highly recommend Arlo add an option for detecting wifi SSID. Make the GPS location update a secondary check. This will save battery and will be more reliable. Using GPS as a secondary check will ensure that a temporary interruption to wifi will not cause issues. Just an option.

If IFTTT supported custom modes I would use a simple check for WiFi SSID to implement Geofencing. This would use very little battery and would be much more reliable. I have been using it for years for other purposes.

JamesC confirms Arlo will release more fixes for Geofencing Defects soon. I will post comments here as soon as the updates are made available.

Please comment if you see this defect. Hopefully more data will help Arlo to isolate the defect.
59 REPLIES 59
RSC1
Apprentice
Apprentice
I just discovered that my background app refresh has been set to Wi-Fi. My wife’s was off. I turned hers on for Wi-Fi and her phone flashed a notification that she was home. Maybe???

We’ll see tomorrow.
wldrns1
Guide
Guide

2 iPhones. When both out of Large Zone, MODE shows location icon only...does not ARMED or DISARMED. When returning ENABLE DEVICES shows IN ZONE yet system remains ARMED, motion is recorded and system notifies of motion events. PROBLEM IS NOT FIXED. CUSTOMERS ARE NOT INFORMED OF FIXES BY ARLO. WHY IS THIS TAKING SO LONG TO REMEDY?????

wldrns1
Guide
Guide

JamesC:

2 iPhones. When both out of Large Zone, MODE shows location icon only...does not ARMED or DISARMED. When returning ENABLE DEVICES shows IN ZONE yet system remains ARMED, motion is recorded and system notifies of motion events. PROBLEM IS NOT FIXED. CUSTOMERS ARE NOT INFORMED OF FIXES BY ARLO. WHY IS THIS TAKING SO LONG TO REMEDY?????

wldrns1
Guide
Guide

NO SURVEY RECEIVED. PROBLEM NOT FIXED.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

As we have previously shared, Arlo’s geofencing feature is working as expected for most customers. We understand that there is a limited subset of users who have more unique user environments for which the geofencing feature may not readily meet their needs.

We are very aware of how important the geofencing feature is and, in order to ensure that it meets the needs of as many of our valued Arlo users as possible, we appreciate that so many of you have generously shared the details of your unique user environment.

Over the past several weeks we have made multiple updates on our cloud server to help address the unique setups of various user environments and we have also been collecting additional feedback from select users who have shared the details of their user environment/setup.

In addition, we are in the process of preparing a survey to collect the details of our more advanced users. The information we gather will help our team to enhance and optimize the geofencing feature for a wider variety of unique user environments. We expect to share the survey in the coming weeks.

As always, we look forward to and appreciate your continued feedback.

Thank you,
Arlo Team

Note: We will provide updated information here as it becomes available. Marking solved to float the latest information to the top of the thread.

VegemanNZ
Guide
Guide

Thanks @JamesC for being active on the forums, it's appreciated.

I can say that I had a glitch with it not working so cleared the data and cache on my Note 9 and it's back to working as expected...yay.

I also like the recent upgrade to the service where it now highlights the area of where the system has detected the motion...that's a really cool feature...Arlo Ultra with the premium

20190706_163638.jpg

agarlo
Star
Star

Well, my geofencing was working again for about a month and broke again yesterday.  As before the app is properly identifying both my iPhone and my wife's iPhone as in zone or out of zone, but the mode does not change when we enter or leave the geofencing area.  If I set to disarm and then set to geofence the mode sets properly.  Just won't do it by itself anymore.  This is the same problem that was resolved about a month ago and it is back to the same broken behavior as before.  We are on the most recent versions of the app and the iOS software.

AG

agarlo
Star
Star

Geofencing is now working properly for me again.

AG

wldrns1
Guide
Guide
I would hope JamesC provides Advisement
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

This week we deployed an update on our cloud server to improve geofencing reliability when multiple users are enabled. With this update, when one mobile device exits the geofencing zone, the Arlo Base Station or Arlo SmartHub now detects and sets the geofencing state based on the location of the additional/second mobile device on your Arlo Account.

We previously mentioned we would be sharing a survey in order to collect more detailed information around the use of our geofencing feature. The information gathered in this survey will help our team to enhance and optimize the geofencing feature for a wider variety of unique user environments. We would sincerely appreciate it if you would participate in the survey by clicking on the link below:

Arlo Geofencing Survey

We are grateful your continued patience as our team works to optimize this feature for all users and your feedback is always welcome. Our team will continue to provides updates in the Arlo Community when we have additional information to share.

Thank you,

Arlo Team

Note: We will provide updated information here as it becomes available. Marking solved to float the latest information to the top of the thread.