Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Extended Wi-Fi range to Arlo cameras

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
STTH
Apprentice
Apprentice

Arlo makes the following statement:

"Arlo Ultra comes with the new, advanced Arlo SmartHub which connects to the user’s router to provide extended Wi-Fi range to Arlo cameras"

Is it correct to say that the Arlo cameras talk to the Arlo hub, but they do not talk to the user's router (or access point)? Only the Arlo hub does that?

Also, is it correct to say that the Arlo cameras talk on the Arlo Wi-Fi network, but never talk on directly connect to the user's Wi-Fi network?

In other words, the so-called Arlo hub really behaves as some proxy or gateway to the user's router?

Or, is this the opposite, whereby the Arlo cameras first talk to the Arlo hub, but if the signal is too weak and one of the user's own Wi-Fi repeaters is nearby, then the Arlo cameras will connect to it to benefit from the extended range?

Please help clarify the meaning behind this new extended range. Previous posts did not fully address this topological concept.

5 REPLIES 5
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

The Ultra hub connects to your router via Ethernet.....

the cams talk only to the hub.

The major diff is the Ultra hub can use both 2.4 and 5 ghz to connect to the Ultra  cameras

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
STTH
Apprentice
Apprentice

If my Access Point is both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz capable, which of the two should I use (most optimal) for the Arlo hub? Furthermore, say I already configured the hub to use 2.4 GHz, how big of a deal is it to switch to 5 GHz (not just swapping that setting, but the cascading implications regarding the rest of the topology, if any)?

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@STTH wrote:

If my Access Point is both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz capable, which of the two should I use (most optimal) for the Arlo hub?

You plug the Arlo hub into your router's wired LAN. It does not use wifi to connect.

The Ultra hub will decide when to use 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

The same conversation is going on here:

Re: Arlo on 5 GHz Wi-Fi - Arlo Communities

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
STTH
Apprentice
Apprentice

No, this conversation is clearly distinct in purpose.

Again the original question is, what really is the meaning behind "extended range"?

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation