Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 7 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation
grassright
Follower
Follower

Wanted to upgrade to Arlo Ultra, while I already have a Arlo Smart subscription.

On the webpage, it says the bundle has one-year subscription included. 

Will the new bundle extend my existing subscription, or it's for new user only?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

You can upgrade to Arlo Ultra but the included one-year subscription will not extend the existing subscription on your account.

JamesC

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

You can upgrade to Arlo Ultra but the included one-year subscription will not extend the existing subscription on your account.

JamesC

AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

@grassright wrote:

Wanted to upgrade to Arlo Ultra, while I already have a Arlo Smart subscription.

On the webpage, it says the bundle has one-year subscription included. 

Will the new bundle extend my existing subscription, or it's for new user only?

It would seem like a way around this might be to create the new account for the Ultra and share access with your original account.  However, you would not be able to create rules and modes that integrate your existing and new cameras.

It seems really odd that Arlo would not offer an easier way for existing users to get the benefit of the one year plan that is most likely factored into the overall purchase price of the Ultra.  It creates a major inconvenience for existing customers (not that inconvenience is foreign to existing customers, of course)

sgibbers17
Apprentice
Apprentice

I understand that if I buy a Arlo Ultra it comes with a free 1-year subscription to smart premier.  But I have heard that if you already have a subscription to smart premier, which I do and it expires in November, that I would have to creat a new account to get the free year.  Is this true or will the free year be added onto my current subscription?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I believe you would need to create a new account so you can maintain your existing subscription as well as being able to use the free 1 year subscription. A possibility is to cancel your existing subscription and then add the Ultra system to your account which seemingly would get you the whole setup on the free one year.

sgibbers17
Apprentice
Apprentice

The problem is that my subscription doesn't expire till november so I would be wasting the rest of that subscription if I cancel it.  Also if I just create a new account to use the free year I will have 10 to 11 months of overlap that is also a huge waste. Has anybody been able to get arlo support to just extend their current subscription.  I won’t be buying a ultra till I know that I can extend my current subscription, or else I am overpaying for the cameras since the free year is factored in to the price of the cameras.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

As I understand it, canceling your subscription would result in a pro-rated refund so you wouldn't be wasting anything. And if doing so doesn't work out you can always resubscribe.

st_shaw
Master Master
Master

Right, "If you cancel your subscription before the end of the subscription term, a prorated refund is automatically credited to your original method of payment."

https://kb.arlo.com/1215141/How-do-I-change-or-cancel-my-Arlo-subscription-plan

Plus, since the free subscription for Arlo Ultra covers up to 10 cameras, your existing cameras can be added to the free plan, in effect saving you the ~$100 you would continue spending on your existing plan.. (Unless you already have 10 cameras.)

hot700
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have installed 3x Arlo Ultra (on top of 2x Q Plus). The system offers only 1 month free Smart Premier Upgrade. The support claims that 1 Year is US only. It is funny that the European pakage claims 1 year and there is 1 year on European web pages, too.

The support doesn't know or they don't know how to fix the problem? Arlo is marketing their new product with false arguments!

hot700
Aspirant
Aspirant

I finally found a solution.

I created a new account with a new email address. This time the system provided automatically Smart Premier subscription for 1 year.

System bugs:

1. If you try to add Ultra to the old account with Basic subscription, you can get only one month free Premier with your new Ultras. Why the support claimed that 1 Year Premier is for US only? There were  three support people claiming this. The case number is 40791460

2. When you add the third camera, the system fails and the name of the Camera2 is changed to Camera3. When you add the third camera again, it installs correctly and only thing left is to change the name of Camera2. As I installed the system three four times (advice from the support), this problem showed every time.

3. The European adapter inserted to the Hub power supply fails - it doesn’t provide power. The fix was to use own US->European adapter.

Well, Ultra is a new product and there are probably more problems as soon as I get more experience.

My Arlos:

3x Q Plus

3x Ultra

3x Pro

1x Pro2

1x Go

4xSolar panel

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 7 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation