Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Distance between cameras

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
PGalore
Luminary
Luminary

Arlo says that we need to place cameras at least 2 meters (6.5 feet) apart but would it affect the signal if they are positioned right next to each other or within 2 meters? Has anyone tested this? 

3 REPLIES 3
DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

I recall reading that the recommended distance between cameras is 10ft, 6ft between Base and router because you only get a 6ft cable supplied.

The reasons for the distance is to minimise front end overload of the devices which would desensitise the internal wifi receivers and so reduce operational range.

As to actual experience, many have been caught with the base station next to their router and find that their cameras drop out. I would expect cameras close by each other would have the same issues.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@PGalore wrote:

Has anyone tested this? 

I have put Pro/Pro2 cameras right next to Ultra/Pro3/Pro4 (touching), and haven't seen any signal issues when doing that.

Generally clients transmit at lower power than routers (and likely smarthubs).  While interference is a possibility, it isn't as likely to be a problem between the cameras.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Have had two cameras ( Pro2 and Pro ) sitting 6 inches apart without notice of any issues...

Strong signal from base unit at location.

Tho I can see where it may possibly cause interference ( to each other )  if at a distance from base

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation