Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Distance and connection: Can I get a straight answer?

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Given2Fly
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have a big ol' dose of good Karma for the person(s) who can help me end my weeks of searching for answers. First, let me paint you a picture:

House Layout

• One story ranch
  • Plaster walls and ceilings
  • The router is located in my office, 61 feet, as a crow flies from where I need external camera coverage
    • The fiber terminates on the exterior wall just beneath the window to my office
    • Relocating the Router and/or Office IS NOT an option
  • Unfinished, dirty ass attic above with temps ranging from 100+ degrees (F) to 40- (F) depending on the season

Network

• Verizon Fios Gigabit service
  • Replacing (today) Verizon G3100 router with TP-Link x20 Whole Home Mesh Wi-Fi (3 unit pack)
    • Shockingly the G3100 has horrible wi-fi coverage
      • Tried a Netgear Nighthawk X4 extender just 10 feet from the G3100 and gained a pathetic 10-15mb increase
    • I'll kill the G3100's wi-fi broadcasting to prevent interference
    • Still using the G3100 for cable TV connection

Camera Placement Plan

• 2 Arlo Ultras for exterior use
  • 1 cam on each corner of the garage
    • 26 feet between cameras
  • I won't concede any features the Ultras bring to the table (4k, etc)
    • I'd buy a cheaper version if that's what I wanted. duh.

Questions:

1) Can I connect my Router to the Ultra Base wirelessly?

• All Arlo's videos only show an ethernet connection, but I've read from non-Arlo sources that it can be done wirelessly.

2) Wired or wireless (depending on the answer to #1), what is the max distance I can have between the Base and the Router located in my office, 61 feet away from one another?

• If router-to-base via wi-fi is possible, this TP-Link Deco x20 gives me 500+MBps (up & down) where I plan on putting the Base, so bandwidth is not a concern

3) What is the max distance I can have between the Base and both cameras? 

• Keep in mind my plan is to have one camera at both corners of the garage which is 26 feet between corners
  • I will not be placing the Base in the dirty, steamy/freezing attic.
    • I have a spot for the Base in the garage between garage doors which will be 13 feet from each camera

If you have any questions/concerns or believe I'm missing something, please let me know. 

Thanks!!!

5 REPLIES 5
michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@Given2Fly wrote:

Questions:

No. The hub/base station has to be wired to the router.

@Given2Fly wrote:

2) Wired or wireless (depending on the answer to #1), what is the max distance I can have between the Base and the Router located in my office, 61 feet away from one another?

See above.

You can run a LAN connection between router and hub. 100 metres is the recommended maximum.

You can use Powerline ethernet to connect a hub to the router using the domestic mains circuit.

@Given2Fly wrote:

3) What is the max distance I can have between the Base and both cameras? 

• Keep in mind my plan is to have one camera at both corners of the garage which is 26 feet between corners
  • I will not be placing the Base in the dirty, steamy/freezing attic.
    • I have a spot for the Base in the garage between garage doors which will be 13 feet from each camera

Different people have different experience, depending on local geography and building layout.

13 feet is fine. My longest stretch is about 50 feet.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

@Given2Fly wrote:

• All Arlo's videos only show an ethernet connection, but I've read from non-Arlo sources that it can be done wirelessly.

As mentioned above, you could use a powerline extender but also consider a WiFi extender. Anything that has an Ethernet port can be used to gain access to the Internet.

Given2Fly
Aspirant
Aspirant
As I understand to use Powerline Ethernet extension the outlet which the router is plugged into needs to be on the same circuit as the outlet the hub is plugged into. So, I’d have to rewire the house to make that work.
Given2Fly
Aspirant
Aspirant
Deco X20 is a whole house mesh network. I have three units spread throughout the house. I purposely put one in the garage where I planned to put the hub. So if I’m understanding you correctly, my main x20 router connects to the mesh unit next to the hub which I can connect those two with a patch cable and that will work?
michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@Given2Fly wrote:
Deco X20 is a whole house mesh network. I have three units spread throughout the house. I purposely put one in the garage where I planned to put the hub. So if I’m understanding you correctly, my main x20 router connects to the mesh unit next to the hub which I can connect those two with a patch cable and that will work?

If that means that you have mesh "satellites" with spare LAN ports, then you can plug the Arlo hub into the satellite.

So, if "those two" are the mesh unit and the hub, fine.

The whole point is to be able to wire the hub into your network.

The connection, with its satellite to router wireless link, may not be as  fast or as reliable as a wired connection, but it will do the job.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation