Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Disable cameras or notifications based on geoloc of motorcycle

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 1 In Conversation
romain_o
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi!

I'm looking for a solution to disable either the notifications or the cameras entirely based on whether or not my motorcycle is parked in my alley. The reason for this is this alley is blocked by a gate, I open the gate to ride my motorcycle and don't close it until I'm back and parked, and in the meantime the motion detection is triggered very often as the opened gate doesn't block the movement outside. I use my motorcycle infrequently and cannot rely on scheduling or the geofencing of my phone.

I have thought about many solutions:

• modifying the motion detection zones: doesn't work, it's either way too sensitive or not at all. If I reduce the zones enough then it doesn't trigger when I want it to trigger. Motion detection zones don't seem very reliable to be honest in my experience.

• using a 3rd party geoloc device (Tile for instance) that I would put on my motorycle keyring, and with IFTTT, automatically disable the cameras when my motorycle keys are inside my house, and re-enable when my motorcycle keys are away (because it means I'm riding): I haven't been able to do this as Tile is not compatible with IFTTT, but you can disarm / rearm Arlo with IFTTT. Do you know another geoloc device which is compatible with IFTTT? or any similar solution?

• smart button in my hallway to enable / disable when I take my motorcycle / when I'm home: not reliable enough for me as I tend to forget to enable / disable, which defeats the whole purpose.

If you have other ideas or the solution to this, please help me 🙂 I'm going crazy with this.

Thanks!

1 REPLY 1
romain_o
Aspirant
Aspirant

(re-posting in Partners as I'm not sure where this post should sit)

Hi!

I'm looking for a solution to disable either the notifications or the cameras entirely based on whether or not my motorcycle is parked in my alley. The reason for this is this alley is blocked by a gate, I open the gate to ride my motorcycle and don't close it until I'm back and parked, and in the meantime the motion detection is triggered very often as the opened gate doesn't block the movement outside. I use my motorcycle infrequently and cannot rely on scheduling or the geofencing of my phone.

I have thought about many solutions:

• modifying the motion detection zones: doesn't work, it's either way too sensitive or not at all. If I reduce the zones enough then it doesn't trigger when I want it to trigger. Motion detection zones don't seem very reliable to be honest in my experience.

• using a 3rd party geoloc device (Tile for instance) that I would put on my motorycle keyring, and with IFTTT, automatically disable the cameras when my motorycle keys are inside my house, and re-enable when my motorcycle keys are away (because it means I'm riding): I haven't been able to do this as Tile is not compatible with IFTTT, but you can disarm / rearm Arlo with IFTTT. Do you know another geoloc device which is compatible with IFTTT? or any similar solution?

• smart button in my hallway to enable / disable when I take my motorcycle / when I'm home: not reliable enough for me as I tend to forget to enable / disable, which defeats the whole purpose.

If you have other ideas or the solution to this, please help me 🙂 I'm going crazy with this.

Thanks!

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 1 In Conversation