Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Direct Storage access disappeared VMB5000. Not showing on iPhone X/XS Max or Samsung Galaxy Tab 6.

Discussion stats
  • 22 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 7 In Conversation
Mjbeuke
Apprentice
Apprentice

Sometime within the last 2 months and I don't know exactly when - direct storage access just completely disappeared as an option in the app.

I had it all setup in my router with port forwarding and it was working fine since it was released earlier this year.... now I've noticed it's completely gone....

Just yesterday I removed all cameras and completely reset and rebuilt my entire arlo system - and its still not there.

It doesn't show up on either of my Wife or I's iPhones (X and XS Max) - nor on my Samsung Galaxy Tab 6 (Android tablet)..... all are on the newest OS and newest version of Arlo's app.

Did this feature also get totally removed???

@JamesC @JessicaP

22 REPLIES 22
Mjbeuke
Apprentice
Apprentice
Its not in the next screen either
dcfox1
Master
Master

Have you tried removing and installing the app or reboot the phone? I still have the option on IOS app. 

Mjbeuke
Apprentice
Apprentice
Yea as part of the process of fully removing all devices and resetting the entire system - I also completely uninstalled and reinstalled the app from all of my devices.

The option is not their on any of my devices for the VMB5000 SmartHub.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I'm confused. Your screenshots show it's there and working. Or are you referring to the ability to select between the cloud and local recordings in the library? I just checked on Android and it's working here.

You might want to eject the card, copy files off if needed, and reformat the card. If you copy the whole Arlo folder off, you could then copy it back on so all remains as before.

Mjbeuke
Apprentice
Apprentice
What?? I'm talking specifically about Direct Storage Access - the feature added to the SmartHub in January that allows you to download and watch recorded videos on your device from the direct storage... without having to remove the memory card.

I'm not talking about local recording - that's obviously working. But the direct storage access is no longer an option.
dcfox1
Master
Master

The option you are looking for is in the library and nothing to do with your screen shot as @jguerdat said and it is the same as mine on ios. It has nothing to do with your screen shot as nothing is missing there. In the Library there is an option when clicking cloud the to select hub witch is what you seem to be describing. You could supply a screen shot on what you are saying is missing. 

Mjbeuke
Apprentice
Apprentice
The option to enable direct storage access and setup the port frwarding is normally on one of the two screens supplied above - unless it was moved.... but I don't see it elsewhere in the app....

You must be referencing the drop down menu in the library where you can change it to your smarthub as the video source.... that option is also GONE and heres the pic of my "Library" also missing the drop down for direct storage.

Its almost like me VMB5000 SmartHub literally no longer has the option for Direct Storage Access at all.

Any ideas @JamesC @JessicaP
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Hate to say it but I think the solution is to remove all devices in Settings, My Devices and start fresh. Be sure to note all settings, modes, rules, schedule, etc. to speed the rebuild process.

Mjbeuke
Apprentice
Apprentice
As mentioned in the OP this was done already.

I removed every device from my account, press and held the "reset buttons" on both base stations to fully reset, and individually re-added devices and totally rebuilt the system last weekend.

I also uninstalled the apps from our 2 iphones and my android tablet and reinstalled them.

After a full-blown reset of the whole system (and 3 hours apent doing it to get on ladders outside) - still no local storage access.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Have you tried a different card?

demannu
Apprentice
Apprentice

Out of curiosity, are you on a subscription plan and if so which one? I'm wondering if this is another sneeky change by Arlo where you have to pay for the privilege to use your device as I wouldn't put it past them. 

dcfox1
Master
Master

@demannu wrote:

Out of curiosity, are you on a subscription plan and if so which one? I'm wondering if this is another sneeky change by Arlo where you have to pay for the privilege to use your device as I wouldn't put it past them. 

A subscription has nothing to do with local storage. Just cloud and smart options. 

demannu
Apprentice
Apprentice

Neither does recording locally in 4k but Arlo took this ability away unless you subscribe to their elite plan.. which is why I queried it and worded it that you 'pay for the privileged' 

I honestly wouldn't put it past Arlo to take this feature away unless you pay for it, theyre a very deceitful company.. just take a look at the thread about their latest terms of service update, they've basically said they can make any changes they want at anytime and remove the feature they choose to and you just have to put up with it. 

Mjbeuke
Apprentice
Apprentice
I haven't tried another card - but that's something I can try out. I can't imagine that has anything to do with its still worth a shot.

I'm on the Arlo Smart Premier plan... shouldn't have anything to do with it but the other guy is correct in that Arlo continues to strip away features that now require an upgraded subscription to get what we actually originally paid for. Complete BS but that's another topic...
Mjbeuke
Apprentice
Apprentice
Well I tried a different MicroSD card and the same issue exists - there is no options either in the storage section of the smarthub, or the drop down menu at the top of the Library window to change to direct storage access.

Still completely missing...
n11
Apprentice
Apprentice

This is a longshot but do you by any chance have more than one Wi-Fi setup in your location and are you trying to connect via one of those? I have two, one is primary built into my modem/router and the other is a mesh system. At one point I didn't have access to the Arlo local storage. I figured out that my phone was set to the wrong Wi-Fi signal. When I changed that the local access re-appeared. Good luck, I know this is frustrating for you.

Mjbeuke
Apprentice
Apprentice
Hey I appreciate you sharing this. I only have 1 wifi router but it is a tri-band router. Very expensive $450 Asus GT AX-11000. I tried all 3 bands after seeing your comment but local storage still is not appearing.... darn.

Still no local storage.
arloultraidaho
Tutor
Tutor

I have the exact same problem. Records fine to the SD but I can't access it. Subscription ran out over the summer. I had direct access to the SD card which is what I wanted because Arlo uses Amazon cloud servers for recording.

Around 3 months ago the cloud option started disappearing intermittently, but I could do resets and eventually get it to come back. After a couple weeks of this, it disappeared and I have not been able to access the SD card since (through the app or computer). I've done every combination of resets.

It looks like Arlo disabled the option. Does it work for anyone else?

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hi mjbeuke and arloultraidaho,

If you're still having problems not seeing the Direct Storage, please contact the Support Team to further investigate this issue. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link.

Mjbeuke
Apprentice
Apprentice
I didn't bother with putting in a ticket - but I randomly checked today and noticed I could once again access remote storage.

All of my previous settings I had setup before it randomly disappeared were still intact - and it connected through the port forwarding on my router and allowed me to download and view videos without a problem!

I haven't tried my wife's phone, tablet, or computer yet but will try those next.
arloultraidaho
Tutor
Tutor

Yup...app updated 7 hours ago and it works fine now.

I sure did waste alot of time trying to fix something that was on their end.

arloultraidaho
Tutor
Tutor

...and now it doesn't work again.

Soooooo annoyed.

Discussion stats
  • 22 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 7 In Conversation